We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Robot vacuum cleaner

simonjary
Resolved

Likes # 0

Anyone tried out a robot vacuum cleaner?

I have one to review for PC Advisor, and was wondering if anyone actually uses one of these.

Cheers! Simon

Like this post
Covergirl

Likes # 0

I've seen reviews of them on the Gadget Show (I think) and the general consensus was that they are pretty useless.

These things wowuld need a pretty good "room coverage" algorithm built in, a good battery (or ceiling mounted mains supply) and a nice heavy weight to stop them floating over the carpet.

As with a decent upright, a good carpet beater (the revolving part underneath) would be essential, but I imagine that would use too much power for a battery operated one.

Like this post
bjh

Likes # 0

I had an el cheapo rip-off of a Roomba for a number of years. It was excellent, within limitations. I unleashed it on a marble floor in a conservatory full of plants and furniture (hence leaves, soil, dead bugs on the floor). It kept the floor extremely clean, without having to move everything to sweep/manually vacuum. Main problem was it had a small dust bag and cat fur seemed to disagree with it more than plant debris. The other clogger was carpet fibre... so not ideal from that respect. But, for what I wanted (a conservatory cleaner) it was excellent. Oh, and it cost around £25 from Ebuyer.

When it wore out (after 3 years running most days), I looked for another. All the cheap ones received bad reviews. All the expensive ones were... expensive, and also received bad reviews.

Hope yours is cheap, and works. Then I'll buy one.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

Covergirl

The one I have will run for well over an hour before docking itself for a re-charge (yes, that's automatic too) and even in a small No 3 bedroom the algorithm keeps it covering the floor for at least half an hour, longer if it's dirty (it can sense that too, and does a spiral "spot clean" and lights an indicator so that you know it is still cleaning and not just stuck).

It brings the carpet up better than Miele, but not as good as a Dyson.

However, the Dyson is a damned sight harder to carry up and down stairs if you're disabled!

Like this post
Crosstrainer2

Likes # 0

morddwyd

I'm going to look into that one....A major problem for me is hoovering up. If your model works as well as you say, then I shall get one....Best place to buy?

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

Crosstrainer2

I used Amazon, not necessarily the cheapest, but if you're unsure of ultimate satisfaction then it has by far and away the best returns policy and system!

Get the one that automatically docks itself, empty it every time, including hair from around the beater, and make sure that it puts itself on charge each time (it plays a natty little warble to let you know it's docked).

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

When I have to clear a room of trash, I go into Robotic Mode...I become a mindless automaton for half an hour....

Like this post
Crosstrainer2

Likes # 0

morddwyd

Thanks I will order one!

Like this post
simonjary

Likes # 0

Finally got round to testing and reviewing that robot vacuum cleaner.

It was better than I imagined but my house is small and over three storeys so not ideal for something that is averse to stairs.

My 5-year-old daughter absolutely loved it, though - treated it like a pet.

Neato XV-15 review

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

On the other hand, though, it is much lighter to carry up stairs than a conventional cleaner!

Like this post  
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

"...and over three storeys so not ideal for something that is averse to stairs."

That's the same problem that the Daleks encountered, you'd think that they would have been aware of that!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

LG G Watch review: Android Wear smartwatch is the best around, so far

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's OS X Beta Seed Program: Get OS X Yosemite on your Mac before public release

IDG UK Sites

Why the BBC iPlayer outage was caused by a DDoS attack: Topsy and Tim isn't *that* popular

IDG UK Sites

See Glasgow 2014 in UHD as history is made