We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Robot vacuum cleaner

simonjary
Resolved

Likes # 0

Anyone tried out a robot vacuum cleaner?

I have one to review for PC Advisor, and was wondering if anyone actually uses one of these.

Cheers! Simon

Like this post
Crosstrainer2

Likes # 0

Simon

Being Mr Geek, I bought one of the originals, It was great at getting around, but pretty useless at actual cleaning. I'm sure that the new breed are better, Which one are you proposing?

It would be a great buns if it does actually pick up dirt.

For now, I have a Dyson.

Like this post
octal

Likes # 1

Are you going to let thing lose in the office Simon? If you are, can I come and watch please? I'll buy the Popcorn and Coca Cola.

Like this post
gengiscant

Likes # 0

PCadvisor magazine and a vacuum cleaner review?

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

A 'Transporter' machine to empty my house of all the junk contained in it would be useful.

"...set coordinates to Polmadie Public Recycling Depot, Glasgow...engage...! "

Like this post
simonjary

Likes # 0

It's a Neato.

I know it's not a PC but we're interested in all sorts of home technology. Doesn't mean we're neglecting our core product groups.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

My son uses one, got it about 4 years ago. He does use it, but I can't see how it saves time and effort as you have to prepare the room first and it doesn't hold much before it beeps and wants emptying. Youngest grandson is terrified of it. He has a normal vac as well for a more thorough cleaning.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

If its the Neato XV-15, then one of your computer magazine competitors did a review a few days ago, including speeded-up video http://www.computeractive.co.uk/ca/review/2118432/neato-xv-robotic-vacuum-cleaner

In our household, we have had a robotic vacuum cleaner for years- its me!.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

I've no experience of robot vacuum cleaners. I did play with a robot lawn mower once; it was a complete and utter waste of time.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 1

Have used one, a Roomba, for some months.

Absolutely superb.

Obviously,being circular, there are edge areas which occasionally have to be covered with a conventional cleaner, but but only very occasionally (like once since February).

Highly recommended.

Our method is that for a routine clean we switch it on when we go out and it does its thing for an hour or so. Every so often, for a deeper clean, we prepare the room a little, make sure all wires are out of the way, and there are clear paths.

Because the dust compartment is small we find little (like one or two rooms at a time, rather than the whole floor) and often the best way.

Much of the criticism of these cleaners is due to over expectation.

If you have a dining room table with four chairs tucked in around it do not expect a very good clean under the table!

Used it earlier today and if it had broken down I would have already had a new one on order from Amazon.

Like this post
ams4127

Likes # 0

I am looking to buy another cleaner within the next week or so but had no considered a robotic type.

Ho hum! I shall look into this though am not too hopeful as the one I want will be replacing a Dyson Animal which I have had for about 8 years. It was excellent when new but is now useless (many parts replaced). It's a very clever design - perhaps too clever, because it is easy to take apart since it all just clips together. Trouble is that over the years all those parts no longer mesh together quite so firmly leading to more leaks than any government department and a total lack of suction.

Currently looking at VAX models.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Microsoft Band UK release date and price rumours, features and specs: Microsoft smartwatch unveiled

IDG UK Sites

Why Sony's PS4 2.0 update is every gamer's dream (well, mine at least)

IDG UK Sites

This Grolsch ad combines stop-motion & CG for majestic results

IDG UK Sites

Apple rumours and predictions for 2015: What to expect from Apple in 2015