We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

cafe sign

Noldi

Likes # 0

Today I went to visit a cafe today in the town centre but was met with a sign "cafe closed due to dishwasher fault". I would have thought on a busy sat they could of washed the dishes by hand or is it now against health and safety rules to do so. Noldi

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

They may not have a sink big enough to do them all, most places rely on machines to wash everything! Pots and pans, trays and plates all go in the washer, it uses less hot water than washing by hand.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

Someone should open a DISH-O-MATIC shop.Or install some Dishwashers in existing Laundrettes.I suspect Health & Safety would not approve.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

".I suspect Health & Safety would not approve."

Why?

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

Safety issues concerning the loading and unloading of glass and sharp knives, might be the reason...in saying that, such 'dangerous' items could restricted or not allowed at all in the Dishwashers.

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

There was a woman killed a few years ago by falling onto some knifes in a dishwasher. The knifes were in a container point up, and as the door was opened flat and the rack was slid out the person tripped and fell across the rack and was stabbed by the knifes.

Moral -- always store knifes point down!

Like this post
Noldi

Likes # 0

I would have thought with a town full of people you would find a way to do the washing up or maybe the boss was off and the workers fancied a easy time. I won't be going there again I support people who can get over little adversity in life with a bit of common sense. Noldi

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

"such 'dangerous' items could restricted or not allowed at all in the Dishwashers."

Absolute rubbish.

Such items are no more, probably less, dangerous in a dishwasher than being washed by hand.

You are obviously one of these people who wish to see all normal activities banned on H&S grounds.

The hazards of sharps and breakages during cleaning in catering premises are well known and documented, and there are many approved and accepted control measures which may be applied, from large five star hotels to the ladies (not sexist, it's always the ladies!) washing up after the tea interval at the local cricket club.

Before shouting "Ban it!" I suggest you do even a cursory risk assessment, or would that slow down the popular bandwagon on which so many people want to jump?

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

You are obviously one of these people who wish to see all normal activities banned on H&S grounds.

No I am not one of those people - morrdwyd.

I agree with Noldi - perhaps had the cafe a backup of plasic plates and cups, cutlery, they could have kept open till normal dishwashing activity resumed.

wiz-king - that accident was in my mind when I posted my safety precaution.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

The temperature in even a domestic dishwasher is much higher that human skin can tolerate, and while lower temperatures are acceptable in a domestic environment it is quite possible that the local Environmental Health Department (Local Authority, not Health and Safety) have made it a condition of the licence that dishes, and in some cases utensils. though many places still operate a "tin room", are washed at a certain temperature, virtually sterilised, between uses.

Before using plastic/paper dishes and cutlery you would need to have proper disposal arrangements in place, including vermin proof storage facilities to keep them in (separate from other rubbish in these days of recycling) until they are collected.

In most areas commercial premises pay to have their rubbish collected, and the amount they pay depends on the type of rubbish.

No-one is going to pay for a contract for food contaminated plastic disposal on the off chance the dishwasher breaks down.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

I have been to an 'upper-class' Indian restaurant and also to a well-known pub chain and observed that the plates were not clean. I have not been back to those premises.

I would say that 'you can not trust the cleanliness of anybody outside your home'. - AITCHBEE

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best January sales 2015 UK tech deals LIVE: Best New Year bargains and savings on phones, tablets,...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

Apple TV expert tips: get US Apple TV content, watch Google Play, use multiple Apple IDs and more