We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

R.I.P. Jimmy Savile.

Blackhat

Likes # 0

Jimmy

As a youngster I spent many hours watching him on TV, sadly not seen much of him for many years.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 1

£40 million pounds raised for charity over a lifetime." How's about that then" for a wonderful epitaph.

Like this post
Strawballs

Likes # 0

One of my lasting memories of Sir Jimmy was running a marathon with one of his Cigars always seemed like a contradiction!

Like this post
Crosstrainer2

Likes # 0

He worked tirelessly even travelling regularly to Broadmoor to talk to those who had commtited the most dreadful of crimes.

A recluse in life, he lived with his Mother until her death, and then alone thereafter. A real "One Off" and I used to watch the show....Alway's hoping he would grant my rather selfish wish to sing with the band Free.

He will be sorly missed.

Rest In Peace, the world needs more like you.

Like this post
Graham*

Likes # 0

R.I.P.

He was not a loner, though, see BBC link

We used to spend several days a year setting up and taking down for major band festivals in Roundhay Park. Sir Jimmy had a flat nearby and we used to see him jogging. He would always stop for a chat with us.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

I am told - rightly or wrongly, I don't know - that Jim was the first DJ ever to use a twin turntable record deck.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

I think it was the concept of doing a dace with records instead of having a dance band present. In effect he invented the disco concept.

Dunno it it's true though, but nobody else is claiming to have invented the disco as far as I know.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

Hows about this then Guys n' Galls...

He's also larger than life in death too, I just heard on the local news that his body will be on public display in The Queens Hotel in Leeds!

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

Jimmy's coffin will have a 9 inch extension, to accomodate one of his favourite Cuban cigars. Jim'll fixit. I think a sainthood would not go amiss for this genuine man of the people.

Like this post
Bingalau

Likes # 0

Sir Jim was also an honorary member of the Royal Marines Commandos. He completed the Commando Course way back I believe. He was always welcome in R.M. establishments and attended the odd re-union.

Like this post
Condom

Likes # 0

As one of the first members of the Teen & Twenty Disk Club which Jimmy started I had the honour of meeting him a few years ago when he came to lay the foundation stone for the new Spinal Unit at my hospital. We had been wary to approach him after his long and well publiced involvement in Stoke Mandiville but he immediately agreed. I can only hope that there is not a smoking ban "up There"

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

The 30 best TV shows on Netflix UK: Our pick of the best programmes you can watch right now

IDG UK Sites

Nostalgia time: Top 10 best selling mobile phones in history

IDG UK Sites

VFX Emmy: Game of Thrones work garners gong for Rodeo FX

IDG UK Sites

Apple 13-inch MacBook Pro with Retina review (2.6GHz, 128GB, mid-2014)