We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Do you think we actually get to much choice or..................

gengiscant

Likes # 0

would life be a little easier if we had less? In certain areas,mobile phone tariffs, utilities and financial products are three that spring to mind,it is virtually impossible to make an informed choice given the overwhelming amount of tariffs and products to choose from.

Like this post
Kevscar1

Likes # 0

Thats why comparison sites are a good thing. Saved £380 on wifes car insurance and switching electric companies £15 a month cheaper

Like this post
Blackhat

Likes # 0

Back in the early 90’s, before the dot com boom I had the idea of a top ten dot com. Type in a product or service and it would show you the up to date top ten best selling. Why oh why didn’t I pursue the idea? Mind you I didn’t have my own computer and web design software was not readily available.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Not all companies are with the comparison sites.

Like this post
OTT_B

Likes # 0

I completely understand your point, gengiscant.

If it were possible to summarise that tariffs only exist to maximise the profits of the company (whatever it is that they supply), that would make a 'simplification' argument much easier. But not all tariffs exist for that purpose - I suspect that a lot of the time a tariff is introduced by a company to cover a competitors position in the market, which is why there are so many tariffs available.

As long as that is the case, there will never be a simple price structuring.

Comparison sites are handy to give an indication of what a tariff is likely to cost, but that's all it is. An indication. You could dedicate your whole life to monitoring your real world use of all the products you have and trying to ensure that you are paying the best possible price.

Like this post
TonyV

Likes # 0

I have tried Comparison sites for Insurance for my car and so far have never bettered what my Insurance Company has quoted. My insurance company is usually £20 to £50 pounds cheaper than the cheapest on the comparison sites for usually a better cover!

Equally so, my Power/Gas bills have always come out on top with my existing supplier. Admitted, I have both supplies with one supplier and pay by DD and control it on line, but I get quite good discounts, so again, have had no need for the use of comparison sites.

In answer to the original question that are we having too much choice, the answer is surely yes!

TonyV

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

Some comparison sites are not all they seem.

There was a case last winter of a comparison site for heating oil that was only returning results for companies that it owned.

Like this post
robgf

Likes # 0

I must admit that I preferred it when the electric was from the Electricity board, with no choice at all. The tariff was easy to understand, you could pay in the shop and you knew who to call if you had a problem. Also, the bill was one sheet of A5, a far cry from the numerous pages of non information they send you nowadays.

I would also prefer less choice in supermarkets, etc. If I want shampoo, I want to just grab a bottle, not spend five perplexing minutes wondering if I need to wash my hair with avocados, or coconuts????

In my opinion the only good expansion of choice is the telephones, because if we just had BT, we would probably still be using dial up.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

I always have a chuckle at all the "Celebrity Soap Mags" on sale at the supermarkets.I must do a scientific study to see if they are all telling the truth.No, leave them be.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

EE brings 4G LTE to Cornwall and a total of 21 new towns

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 review: Hands on with the iOS 8 beta

IDG UK Sites

5 things Android Wear *can't* do: Smartwatch OS is great but not flawless

IDG UK Sites

Sharknado 2 VFX: how The Asylum created CG flying man-eating sharks