We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Superstitions, do they vary by region here?

TopCat®
Resolved

Likes # 0

We have just spent a pleasant afternoon entertaining an old lady who my wife first met as a young child evacuee to Mevagissey, Cornwall from London during WWII. After a very nice lunch we adjourned to the conservatory, whereupon the Cornish old lady looking out over the garden, suddenly stiffened and stopped speaking. She then rose to her feet and began saying: "Good afternoon Mr Dennison." "I trust you and your family are well and will remain so, with the grace of God." She then resumed her seat!

Seeing the look on our faces, she explained that she had seen just a single magpie in our garden and that to pacify the 'evil spirits' those words had to be said. Not necessary of course, if two or more of the species are seen.

My younger brother was driving me around Yorkshire one morning years ago, when he spotted a single magpie walking at the roadside. Slowing down he vainly looked around for another magpie, before firmly stating "he would be having a rotten day from now on. When I said that was a load of bunkum I knew by his response that he was quite serious.

Anyone here know of other superstitions that have changed by region in this country. I am not a believer in any, by the way, but thanks for the input anyway. :o) TC.

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

My father who was born and lived all his life in Harwich, Essex always acknowledged a single magpie. If he was wearing his favourite trilby he doffed it and asked the magpie how he was today, if he was bareheaded then he would touch his forelock.

Like this post
userious?

Likes # 0

"the Cornish old lady" Sorry but you have to be born in Cornwall to be Cornish.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

userious? what makes you think she wasn't?

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

They certainly do vary by region.

I have been looked at very askance in the more genteel parts of England when spitting three times on seeing a white horse.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

The 70's Children's TV program 'Magpie' with Susan Stranks, Tony Bastible & Co. began with a song-:

"One for sorrow, two for joy, three for a girl and four for a boy.....

Ma-a-a-a agpie !"

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

I have no idea where it came from, but as a child if we saw a lone magpie we held on to our collar with one hand (to ward off bad luck) until we saw another magpie.

Like this post
BT

Likes # 0

One for sorrow, two for joy..

Its all to do with the fact that Magpies pair for life so if you see a single one it could have lost its mate, hence 'One for sorrow. two for joy'.

Like this post
BT

Likes # 0

..we held on to our collar with one hand..

Probably from the old East End custom of holding your lapel with the fingers your left hand to show respect at a funeral.

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

After seeing a single magpie, we had to find a Grey(White horse) to remove the day's bad luck!

Essex/Hertfordshire

Like this post
Mr Mistoffelees

Likes # 0

I thought it was bad luck to talk about superstitions!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Android One vs Android Silver vs Google Nexus: What is the difference?

IDG UK Sites

Apple updates MacBook Pro line-up: Price cuts & spec boosts for 6 MacBook Pro models

IDG UK Sites

Long live the internet fridge: the Internet of Things is coming

IDG UK Sites

How Prometheus' colourist Juan Ignacio Cabrera gave a tense, edgy feel to Chosen