We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Cable Theft

interzone55

Likes # 0

We hear on an almost daily basis stories of trains being delayed, or phones being cut off because some scrotes have stolen a few hundred yards of high voltage cable, worth £50 scrap, but costing thousands to replace.

Recently there's been talk of legislation to try to stop these thefts, but I'm not sure what anyone can do when scrap yards are advertising "Cash for Cable" on big banners.

I didn't believe my eyes the first time I saw the sign, and didn't have my camera ready when we drove back past it yesterday, but there's a scrap yard on the A460 in Cannock Chase with just such a sign.

Like this post
amonra

Likes # 0

You'll never stop the thieving of lead off the roof, or copper wire from poles, but you can police the scrap-metal dealers yards and make sure they have issued invoices for their stock. At present it's far too easy for them to say "bought it from the back of a van". But there again, the law says it hasn't got the resources. They are far too busy booking motorists !

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

I heard on the radio yesterday, that catalytic converters in the exhaust systems of cars and other vehicles, are the latest 'easy money' for metal thieves.The converters contain precious metals like platinum, gold and palladium.

Like this post
SparkyJack

Likes # 0

Whilst on a walk in the country side with a group of others recently was passed through a farm yard- where between two barns was an area covered with piles of neatly coiled lengths of multi cored cable with the BT emboss on the black outer.

We pondered this but, as we were on a footpath away from road and no sat nav to be able to pin point the location we passed on by.

Like this post
QuizMan

Likes # 0

Aitchbee - sounds like good news. My car isn't worth much, but I can sell my catalytic converter for a profit, perhaps.

Like this post
daz60

Likes # 0

I thought this was about Vince cable,my mistake.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

AitchBEE

I'm willing to bet that it's nothing but scarmongering, there is platinum in a catalytic converter, but not more than a few pence worth - really not worth the effort

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

alan14 - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-surrey-15048380

The BBC have highlighted the rise in this type of metal theft recently. It is a fact.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

The scrap metal dealers are as corrupt as a nun with a bun in the oven, it very much a cash for scrap trade, no questions asked and probably the best way to clamp down on it is to send the excise men in the trawl the paper records and put the frighteners on the dealers and sellers. There is a massive tax evasion going on in the scrap metal trade and always has been.

Like this post
BT

Likes # 0

there is platinum in a catalytic converter, but not more than a few pence worth - really not worth the effort

Not so sure about that. I was in my local tyre/exhaust place recently and the chap in front was offered his old catalytic converter, as according to the fitter it was worth selling it. A search around on Google suggests a price of about £50 for scrap.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

fourm member - you said, this morning, "Cable theft has always gone on. When I worked in that industry we would often get dodgy characters...."

What industry did you use to work in? Are you one of those dodgy characters? Show us your metal...

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 release date, price and specs 2014

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 features wishlist: the changes iPhone and iPad users want in Apple's iOS 8

IDG UK Sites

25 Years of the World Wide Web: Happy Birthday, Intenet

IDG UK Sites

Developers get access to more Sony camera features