We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Scotland indepence

Terry Brown

Likes # 0

Now that Scotland seems to have made up it's mind to go independent of the rest of the British Isles, does that mean we can stop throwing our money at them, and we can get rid of all the scotish MP's in parliment?

Can you explain to me we are second class europeans in scotland ?

Scotland has FREE university places for anyone in Europe EXCEPT if you are English, but they don't object to us paying for them.

Or is is all take and no give?

Terry

Like this post
Admiral Allstar

Likes # 0

I always feel the issue of the revenue from the oil is a bit of a mis-nomer as Scotland did benefit from the employment and other associated industries which sprang up.

That said, if we are going to lower the discussion to squabbles over the oil proceeds then please can Scotland repay the money invested in RBS over the last couple of years. Perhaps then instead of blaming the bankers we can blame Scotland for all our ills. :)

Like this post
Macscouse

Likes # 0

Has anyone thought of what the Shetlanders may do? If my memory serves me right, a few years ago, an unofficial poll was held in Shetland about this very thing, and they voted to stay in the UK. Quite a lot of the oil is in their patch, so come a referendum, Scots plans may gang aglay, and they may be left with very little oil.

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

i think scotland was thinking if it went independent they would get more grants, funding, cash etc from the EU than they already get from London.

now the EU is on the verge of going belly up they would do well to think again other wise they could end up like greece needing bailouts on a regular basis.

edingburgh could twin with athens perhaps

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

Is that why Edinburgh is known as "The Athens of the North"?

Like this post
cocteau48

Likes # 0

Let us not forget that only a few months ago "king" Salmond was proclaiming that Ireland was the economic model that Scotland should aspire to.

That would be the Ireland now accepting handouts and bailouts from wherever it can get them.

Like this post
badgery

Likes # 0

So God created Scotland, and said to McTavish "Well, how've I done?"

McTavish said "Lord you are so generous, all this beautiful land, bountiful seas, water for power (and the promise of a bit of oil in the future). We are so grateful but wonder why we have been given all these benefits?"

God said "Wait till you see the neighbours I've given you"

(The old 'uns are always the best!).

Like this post
badgery

Likes # 0

cocteau48 "Salmond was proclaiming that Ireland was the economic model.."

Er, didn't our very own George Osbourne say a very similar thing about Ireland just before it collapsed?

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

Looking at the posts in this thread, the Union is going to go the same way as the Empire, and for the same reasons, a mixture of complacency and arrogance.

If anyone had suggested a hundred years ago that the Empire would become a loose association of self governing countries they would have been laughed out of the room.

"Don't be silly, why would they want independence, they know when they're well off.. What could the natives possibly know about running a country? Who in their right mind would suggest that a man dressed in a toga and sandals, with no socks, could possibly be in charge of India, even if he did have an English University education?"

People seem to be assuming that better off always means financially better off, whereas it can also mean just better.

Malta can sit at a table and help set the number of days Scottish fishermen can go to sea.

Holland can sit at a table and decide how much subsidy Highland sheep farmers should get.

In the meantime millionaire milk quota owners, who only ever see any countryside for a week at a time over the barrels of a shotgun, continue to relax at home and wait for the subsidy cheques to come in.

Don't be surprised if eventually people decide to do something about it.

I repeat a comment I made earlier in the year - independence is now inevitable, not in my lifetime, perhaps not is Salmond's, but it will come.

Salmond is a very clever politician, when Scotland voted in a hung parliament, rather than compromise his principles, like Cameron and Clegg, he simply put them on hold and ran a full term minority government, which Cameron didn't even want to try.

The Scots people were surprised to find that the widely predicted Armageddon did not happen.

Now he has a massive majority, and Armageddon is still not happening (and if it does he can blame the massive cut in funding from the UK government) and suddenly the UK parties have woken up and are beginning a campaign, based very much on personalities (why else do you think all three party leaders in Scotland have resigned?) to try and catch up.

As the saying goes up here, we live in interesting times!

I know that many people think he is all show and no substance. Well, so was Tony Blair.

Like this post
badgery

Likes # 0

morddwyd

An excellent post - caught the mood exactly I reckon.

Like this post
badgery

Likes # 0

fourm member "..trying to talk up Ireland"

Oh dear if the party line is now that Osbourne was just 'talking up Ireland' when he made his well-reported gaffe about Ireland's economics, then the Tories do not deserve anybody to vote for them ever again - you are re-writing history, nothing less!!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPad mini 3 vs iPad mini 2 comparison: New iPad mini 3 isn't worth £80 more

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't buy the iPad mini 3: No wonder Apple gave it 10 seconds of stage time

IDG UK Sites

View an animated vision of a better future for Ethiopian girls

IDG UK Sites

Should I upgrade from Mavericks to OS X 10.10 Yosemite? What you need to know before updating to...