We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Scotland indepence

Terry Brown

Likes # 0

Now that Scotland seems to have made up it's mind to go independent of the rest of the British Isles, does that mean we can stop throwing our money at them, and we can get rid of all the scotish MP's in parliment?

Can you explain to me we are second class europeans in scotland ?

Scotland has FREE university places for anyone in Europe EXCEPT if you are English, but they don't object to us paying for them.

Or is is all take and no give?

Terry

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

To try and get as many possible to vote in favour of a split the voting age for the referendum is going to be lowered to 16+ Scotland Gov. Telegraph report. Now perhaps we should do that in England and see whether we want to keep Scotland or Wales or even the EU.

Like this post
Flak999

Likes # 0

I say if they feel they want to go it alone, let them. For to long the West Lothian question has been a festering sore between England and Scotland, they will rue the day they vote for independence. (if it happens)

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

*The Scotland/England union has been going 'good guns' for 300 years or more.Ireland is a different issue, along with Wales.I would say , keep the Union of Great Britain, but get rid of the outdated Royal Family and the Lords and posh hangers-on, who think they know what's good for us, but do not live in the real world.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

"Now that Scotland seems to have made up it's mind to go independent"

It hasn't, and it won't.

"Scotland has FREE university places for anyone in Europe EXCEPT if you are English"

It doesn't. Norwegians pay, as does any other country not in the EU, and I think the Welsh and Irish do as well.

Scotland would love to charge all foreign students, but unfortunately under laws passed by Westminster they can only charge students from the rest of the UK.

Like this post
badgery

Likes # 0

Flak999 "I say if they feel they want to go it alone, let them"

Exactly! Why do so many English people want to preserve the Union, because (they say) Scotland won't survive on their own?

I doubt they are that philanthropic and so there has to be a reason which is in England's financial interest to dissuade those rebellious Scots from jumping ship?

With Scotland's history of invention,education and financial astuteness who are we to say they are incapable?

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

One of the reasons for such things a Uni places in Scotland is the subsidy they get from the rest of the UK. The Barnett formula)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-392231/My-scheme-gives-Scots-cash-aid-says-peer.html

Like this post
oresome

Likes # 0

Financial astuteness!

Does this include the the Royal Bank of Scotland and the Halifax Bank of Scotland by any chance?

Like this post
natdoor

Likes # 0

fourm member

The failure of the Darien Scheme and Scotland's resultant bankruptcy resulted in union with England, as I'm sure you know. The English paid the Scottish debt as part of the deal and will seek repayment in the event of independence.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

"and will seek repayment in the event of independence."

Don't be silly. The EU will pay it, like they eventually will with Greece!

Like this post
Terry Brown

Likes # 0

Morddwyd

I was not aware that Norway was in the EU , and as I said countries in the EU, not outside it.

Forum Member

When Scotland went Bankrupt in last part of the 17 and Early 18th centuries, who baled them out, and was that money ever repaid?.

For a few years Scotland has North Sea Oil assets, instead of using them to provide for Scotland, they were sold off to make some quick money.

Scotland wil never achieve Independence because like so many other countries they are used to the 'Charity' of the English, and it is very hard to turn down a free meal-- Nothing of course to do with the Royal Family owning a castle up there!!, and keeping the natives settled.

Terry

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

8 cheapest 4G smartphones in the UK 2014: Best budget 4G phones

IDG UK Sites

Apple MacBook Air lab tests and benchmarks: 11-inch & 13-inch, 256GB, 2014 Mac laptops tested

IDG UK Sites

How to prank people using Google Glass

IDG UK Sites

Brian Cox to step into will.i.am's shoes with IBC keynote