We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Scotland indepence

Terry Brown

Likes # 0

Now that Scotland seems to have made up it's mind to go independent of the rest of the British Isles, does that mean we can stop throwing our money at them, and we can get rid of all the scotish MP's in parliment?

Can you explain to me we are second class europeans in scotland ?

Scotland has FREE university places for anyone in Europe EXCEPT if you are English, but they don't object to us paying for them.

Or is is all take and no give?

Terry

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

I think what it is is that the English have no fight in them they take everything thrown at them and will not fight for what the rest of the Country get.

Maybe it is time they got up off their knees and started to fight for equality throughout the nation and not just for the few.

One for all and all for One sounds good to me.

Maybe Scotland look after the money they get and spend it wisely but if one part of the country can get all of those benefits all parts of the country should get them also.

Maybe it is just bad Government south of the border and to much gets spent on the capital London and not enough getting shared elsewhere.

Like this post
Pine Man

Likes # 0

'Or is is all take and no give?'

Of course it is. They will never have true independence just some 'cherry picking'.

Like this post
Proclaimer

Likes # 0

I don't know the 'financials' but I do know that all my life I have wanted an Independent Scotland.

Like this post
Snec

Likes # 0

It is all just nonsense, this independence thing.

Scotland, Wales, North Yorkshire. Gedney Drove End. They can't be independent and in the EU.

What is their true objective? You'll probably never find out - they are, like all MPs, working to their own private agenda..

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"all my life I have wanted an Independent Scotland."

So have many Scots, but the fact is, Scotland is inextricably linked to the rest of the UK. There may be a degree of political independence, but the Westminster parliament will retain the final say over foreign policy, and Scotland can never be completely economically independent.

This independence thing isn't going to go away, and if the Scottish people vote for it, than I say let them have it. They'll soon realise that there's no pot of gold at the end of that particular rainbow.

Like this post
badgery

Likes # 0

There is still plenty of time for discussions about independence before any referendum is held, and a good deal of influence will be gathered by how the current SNP government manages matters.

So far they don't seem to be doing too badly, so I don't think "It is all just nonsense.." is especially a cogent argument.

Like this post
robgf

Likes # 0

Will they be rebuilding Hadrian's wall, to keep us pesky English out. :)

Like this post
badgery

Likes # 0

FE "Scotland can never be completely economically independent"

Presumably, there must be many who would disagree with you on that statement. Why can other nations of similar size manage perfectly well, but the Scots are derided for wanting it, and told THEY could never manage?

If anything would make Scots vote for independence, it would be views like that being thrown at them.

Like this post
badgery

Likes # 0

"The whole reason the SNP hasn't pressed ahead with a referendum is that it knows there is not a majority in favour of independence."

It was always in the manifesto that any vote would be in the second half of the term - so isn't Salmond simply keeping his word? (One might say, unlike other party leaders and promises!).

This seemed to me to be totally honest in that it gave Scots further time, with a new SNP government, to see how they were doing in power. If he had called an immediate vote the accusation would have been "He's trying to rush it, on the tail of the Scottish election".

I'm sure the Scots are able to make up their own minds without help from the English - good luck to them.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

badgery

"Presumably, there must be many who would disagree with you on that statement".

I'm sure there would, but Professor John Kay, of Alex Salmond's Council of Economic Advisers isn't one of them. He says that Salmond has “virtually no chance” of winning the independence referendum, and that even if he does there would not be full economic independence, as Scotland would continue to have its monetary policy dictated by Westminster and the EU.

Remember when Salmond used to say that an economically independent Scotland would be like Ireland or Iceland? You'll not hear him making that mistake now.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Sony PlayStation 5 release date, price and specs UK: When is the PS5 coming out?

IDG UK Sites

New Apple TV release date rumours, features: 'new Apple TV next week' rumour

IDG UK Sites

Mobile email is powerful and useful - but also hopelessly intrusive

IDG UK Sites

How the Oculus Rift VR headset is helping train the surgeons of tomorrow