We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Who stays up late at night?

Forum Editor
Resolved

Likes # 0

Browsing the forum areas late at night, I'm aware that most people seem to have gone to bed, or perhaps they're just doing something else at that time.

In years gone by we had what - for want of a better description - I used to refer to as 'the night crew'. They were the regulars who took part in discussions that often went on into the early hours. We had some interesting debates at night, and whether it was due to the lateness of the hour, or perhaps a nightcap or two, they were mostly good-natured and friendly.

I tend to be here until midnight most evenings - sometimes a little later - because some of the work I do involves on-line collaboration across times zones. I just wondered if anyone keeps me company without my knowing?

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 1

In the days of Dial-up, post Lounge, I used to log-on after the Restaurant had closed. Sort of Midnight till 2.00am.

Now I drive a Taxi and, if I've had difficult Customers on any of the last few runs, I will Log-in to Cool-out. Between 3.30 and 4.30am.

Unfortunately I'm being left behind by technology. My PC is XP, but with a 24" Monitor, and I'm unlikely replace it until M$ drop their support for XP in 2014. I gave my Laptop to my Sister a couple of years back to try to get around her Luddite tendencies, it didn't work. I desire an iPad, but having spent a couple of hours playing with a friends, cannot get round the thought that it is a Toy. Desirable, but still a toy which I cannot justify as an expense. I still have a basic Mobile Phone for the same reasons as the iPad.

Without the discussions here I would not know of all the goodies I am missing out on! However I believe that I am Homo Sapiens, user of tools, rather than Homo Infantes, player of games.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 1

Strawballs

Now you're stating another topic.....

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 1

I think Post's have slowed on the forum because Computing as Changed, Hardware tend to be more reliable and software not as Buggy

Like this post
Bingalau

Likes # 0

I used to go to bed at a regular time normally between 22.00 and 23.00 hrs. But when I am on my own now-a-days (four nights a week) I tend to go to bed earlier at about 21.00 hrs then get up in the night and roam around the house and make a coffee and maybe raid the fridge for a midnight snack. I also have a look at the forum to see if anything interesting is being talked about. Some nights I will then read for a couple of hours. I know if I feel tired the next day that I can always go to bed for a couple of hours whenever I feel like. Funny thing is I never do.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

" I know if I feel tired the next day that I can always go to bed for a couple of hours whenever I feel like. Funny thing is I never do".

Join the club, but give it time, you will!.

I often go to bed between 12.30/2.00am, and usually try to catch up on the internet, including the PCA forums, where you might find me making a late evening or early morning comment!.

Like this post
TopCat®

Likes # 0

When tentatively and nervously browsing the internet with my first computer nearly eleven years ago, I happened by chance to drop in to the PCA forum. The website itself was in its infancy then, but I was immediately struck by the intellectual, factual and helpful content it provided, together with an excellent standard of moderation. In no time at all I was hooked and began to contribute and help in any way I could.

I did previously visit other forums during my early searching, but none I found then could even come close to this forum for its excellent selection of content, invaluable help and kindness from its contributors. Anyway, to get back on topic, retirement has in the past allowed me to spend a great amount of my time here, reaching well into the wee small hours on many rivetting discussions. These days I turn in most nights around 01.00 hours, after a final check of Speakers' Corner, just in case I spot an 'all-night session' potential there! o:) TC.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

TopCat®

We've grown nearly eleven years older together. Who would have thought, all those years ago, that we would still be here, over a decade later?

I met a retired client at a dinner recently. She was embarking on an early retirement when I first started working with PCA. Exchanging pleasantries, we asked each other what we were up to these days. When I told her, she said 'Good heavens! You're not still doing that are you? I wouldn't have thought there was enough talk about computers to last you over ten years'.

If only she knew.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Hello anyone there!.

Like this post
Lazarus The 2nd

Likes # 0

Yep, Me!

Like this post
Snec

Likes # 0

Still quite early.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Top 5 Android tips and tricks for smartphones and tablets

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's OS X Beta Seed Program: Get OS X Yosemite on your Mac before public release

IDG UK Sites

Why the BBC iPlayer outage was caused by a DDoS attack: Topsy and Tim isn't *that* popular

IDG UK Sites

BBC using Glasgow 2014 Commonwealth Games to trial 4K/UHD, pan-around video, augmented video and...