We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Who stays up late at night?

Forum Editor
Resolved

Likes # 0

Browsing the forum areas late at night, I'm aware that most people seem to have gone to bed, or perhaps they're just doing something else at that time.

In years gone by we had what - for want of a better description - I used to refer to as 'the night crew'. They were the regulars who took part in discussions that often went on into the early hours. We had some interesting debates at night, and whether it was due to the lateness of the hour, or perhaps a nightcap or two, they were mostly good-natured and friendly.

I tend to be here until midnight most evenings - sometimes a little later - because some of the work I do involves on-line collaboration across times zones. I just wondered if anyone keeps me company without my knowing?

Like this post
sidecar sid

Likes # 0

Would have to echo Kevscar's post.The forum is not what it used to be. Just added up.Only 52 posts across all forums forum in the past 12 hours. Hope the advertisers are not looking! I very rarely bother logging in or posting anymore because.

A: Nothing much to say.

B: Not much to help with.

C: Too much advertising making navigation to much of an effort.

D: Problems accessing the site of which there have been many over the years.

Several other forums I frequent are larger have little or no advertising and very rarely suffer from access problems.

Goodbye.

Like this post
al's left peg

Likes # 0

I do constant nights now so pop in time to time on my nights off.

I also have a Mac now and it does not seem to develop problems the way that my previous Windows PC used to, so rarely use the helproom. If I have a technical problem I use the search facility first to see if I can rectify it that way.

Speakers Corner used to be fairly feisty a few years back but I think the FE has stamped out the arguing in it now.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

sidecar sid

"Only 52 posts across all forums forum in the past 12 hours. Hope the advertisers are not looking!"

You're making the elementary mistake of assuming that everyone who visits the site takes part in the forum discussions. The advertisers you mention aren't stupid - they wouldn't be paying to advertise with us if it wasn't worth their while.

As for your remark that you have "Nothing much to say." I'm sorry about that, but there's not much we can can do about it.

If you have a moment, I would be interested to see a link to one of those "Several other forums" that are larger and have little or no advertising, but I won't be holding my breath.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

al's left peg

"I think the FE has stamped out the arguing in it now."

Take a look at some of the threads in Speakers Corner and you'll still see people arguing. What I've tried to do is to stop people making abusive remarks to one another, and I suppose that has resulted in things seeming to be less feisty. In the feisty days people complained that they were offended. Cut out the offensive remarks and people complain that it's all a bit boring.

Do you have any suggestions for me - what would make it more entertaining?

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

These are quite good ClickHere and should lighten the mood.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

lotvic

Yes, that should do the trick.

Like this post
Strawballs

Likes # 0

Well it's 2:13am and I'm here.

Like this post
Chegs ®™

Likes # 0

Here I am(as usual)

Just finished a long game of online golf with friends from all over the world.The golf game has a forum,but I rarely visit due to the large amounts of flaming that goes on.If your not part of some clique,you get ignored or scorned.

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

As I said before, I am of the "post" Lounge generation, but I'm writing this in support FE's control of Speakers Corner.

I regularly visit one of the Taxi Driver's Forums, my new Trade!, which is frequently out of control and there are some who's concept of arguing their corner is to pour foul invective on all those that disagree, using language that is totally unacceptable in any society.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Regarding the FE's remarks at 11.54pm yesterday, it might possibly be worth looking at A194 and Matt Egan's comments about advertisers and viewers of the forum http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/forums/16/speakers-corner/4088378/another-annoying-advert/?ob=datea&pn=4

The forum editors introduction at the head of the page, seems to perhaps suggest that there is a deterioration in activity on the PCA forums website. Being a forum member from the very early days, I have to agree with that, which makes me think in the PCA forum as a solid future!.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

The best iPhone 6 alternatives: Price and specs compared with the best smartphones

IDG UK Sites

The top 10 Apple products ranked by pixel density: Which Apple devices have the sharpest screens?

IDG UK Sites

SBTRKT's Look Away webcam-based interactive music video won't keep your gaze

IDG UK Sites

Retina MacBook Air release date rumours and specs: Gold 12in Retina MacBook Air almost 1cm thinner...