We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Who stays up late at night?

Forum Editor
Resolved

Likes # 0

Browsing the forum areas late at night, I'm aware that most people seem to have gone to bed, or perhaps they're just doing something else at that time.

In years gone by we had what - for want of a better description - I used to refer to as 'the night crew'. They were the regulars who took part in discussions that often went on into the early hours. We had some interesting debates at night, and whether it was due to the lateness of the hour, or perhaps a nightcap or two, they were mostly good-natured and friendly.

I tend to be here until midnight most evenings - sometimes a little later - because some of the work I do involves on-line collaboration across times zones. I just wondered if anyone keeps me company without my knowing?

Like this post
cycoze

Likes # 0

I am normally up until 2am, sometimes a bit later, I find it a nice quiet time to get some computer work done, as well as having a browse here and a couple of other sites.

Will be late tonight as I want to keep popping out to look for the Orionids.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

I vary. Usually up till around midnight, but if can't get to sleep I come back to have a browse.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

We had some interesting debates at night, and whether it was due to the lateness of the hour, or perhaps a nightcap or two, they were mostly good-natured and friendly.

The 'lounge' seemed to have some 'lively' context at times I remember you saying once in a while? Speakers Corner was grudgingly added to the forums? Before my time here but interesting on how a site 'matures'.

Hat off to you.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

rdave13

Mention of 'The Lounge' brings back painful memories as well as some good ones. We reluctantly decided to close it down when a small number of people repeatedly spoiled things for everyone else. They were difficult times, and best forgotten, I think. The forum had a life of its own before The Lounge, and it has one now of course.

Speakers Corner came into being by popular request - I wouldn't be stretching it if I said that I was inundated with emails asking for a new general discussion area. We decided to try again, this time with a much stricter content editorial policy, and things seem to have worked out pretty well since then.

I miss the late-night discussions however, and as - like cycoze - I'm staying up on a Saturday night to watch for meteorites I thought I would try to find out who else patrols the site at this kind of hour.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

No chance of seeing the meteorites in north Wales tonight, too cloudy, unfortunately.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

Don't normally hit the forums much after ten unless I'm having a bad night.

Even then the forum is usually so quiet, as already commented, that I rarely post in the small hours.

Like this post
Kevscar1

Likes # 0

There seem to be a lot less new posts over the last few months which is why I only look in once or twice a day now. it seems to be the same on all the forums I visit, timeshare and RSD ones mostly.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Maybe stay up late in the summer time but normally in bed by midnight on the cold nights.

Mind you sometimes on about 3-4am when I cannot get back to sleep.

Like this post
Snec

Likes # 0

I'm often engaged in online poker tournaments that last between 9 to 11 hours (one lasted over 17hrs) with 5 minute intervals every hour so I often pop in for a look throughout the night.

During my teens my father used to say I was putting enough sleep into stock to last me a lifetime. Seems he was right.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"I'm often engaged in online poker tournaments"

I know of a young woman who makes a tidy living from playing Poker online. Not directly relevant to my thread title, I know, but an interesting insight into the way that the internet has changed our world.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best January sales 2015 UK tech deals LIVE: Best New Year bargains and savings on phones, tablets,...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Best Photoshop Tutorials 2014: 10 inspiring step-by-step guides to creating amazing art,...

IDG UK Sites

Complete guide to iPhone and iPad settings: Get to know iOS 8 Settings UPDATED