We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Why Are People Late?

Crosstrainer2
Resolved

Likes # 0

I have been waiting for friends to arrive all day.. Original time of arrival was "10ish" it's now 15:35. Do people no longer inform the host?

Probably me an age thing.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Are you sure it's today they're coming or could it be tomorrow..... before they arrive. It's enough to make you cross, crosstrainer2 ;)

Like this post  
Crosstrainer2

Likes # 0

lotvic

It is today... i guess it's what comes of living alone....I have become used to it.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

They're timing it to arrive in the middle of something important!

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

When I first met my wife I used to become infuriated at her apparent inability to arrive anywhere on time. We had several memorable arguments about it - her wondering what I was getting so up tight about, and me wondering if I could ever have a future with someone who had such a cavalier attitude about time.

Over the years we've both made compromises - I keep my temper when she says 'I'll be ready in a minute' when I know she means 'I'll be ready sometime in the next hour', and she tries hard to be punctual when other people are involved.

My father, who was a military man, taught me that it's the height of rudeness to assume that the other person won't mind waiting when you're late. As a result I'm the one who would arrive before everyone else if he could, and I would rather wait an hour or two in the airport than arrive breathless at the boarding gate when the ground crew are about to close.

You are how you are, and if your friends are as late as you say, you are entitled to feel a little irritated.

Like this post
Crosstrainer2

Likes # 0

FE

So well put, my wife was exactly the same...But never late...EXACTLY to the minute on time...These friends have yet to arrive.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

I think that I would ring them. We made a dreadful mistake one day when we thought that our friends were coming to us and in fact it was the other way round. It wasn't until the telephone call did we realise the error.

Like this post
badgery

Likes # 0

Silver lining...? Didn't you reckon they would disrupt your rugby watching? (Or was that somebody else said that - apologies if I'm mistaken!).

Like this post
amonra

Likes # 0

Leave a note on the door, "Back in five mins." and go down the pub for a couple of hours !!!!!!

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

With friends like that, who needs other interests, or has the time to do them?

Like this post
Crosstrainer2

Likes # 0

They Came..Rugby final is tomorrow.

time for me to take my meds....

and...........?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Amazon 3D smartphone release date, price and spec: The hologram phone?

IDG UK Sites

You're never alone with a clone: How the App Store got taken over by copycats

IDG UK Sites

PCs vs consoles: PCs still pwn when it comes to gaming (and everything else)

IDG UK Sites

The art of rebranding: Creative agency The Neighbourhood explains how & why it rebranded