We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Identification Longshot/Talking Point 545

Brumas
Resolved

Likes # 0

Good Evening All. You do realise that you orrible lot are keeping me from my beauty sleep, and by heck I need it, so I will post another GENUINE UNIDENTIFIED POSTCARD kept for situations like this! click here

Like this post
Brumas

Likes # 0

I'm definitely hitting the hay, once again G'Night All.

Like this post
zzzz999

Likes # 0

That has a New Zealand look about it

Like this post
Crosstrainer2

Likes # 0

I wonder, Could that be Essex post the floods? I ask, because I remember that a lot of chalet type houses were destroyed, and many lost their lives. As for what looks like a tipped over ship in the background...I have no idea.. I shall have a browse..

Friends arriving @ around mid-day....I hope they don't read this, I'm really not feeling up to it, but they are making a special trip from London.

I wonder if I can find some of those old Images.....Anyone remember the date of that great flood?

Like this post
Crosstrainer2

Likes # 0

Well, here is the flood, but the year is certainly wrong:

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?q=great+flood+of+essex+ship&hl=en&gbv=2&biw=1271&bih=947&tbm=isch&tbnid=9LcP0a2tIY4uM:&imgrefurl=http://www.flickr.com/photos/59759366%40N02/favorites/page2/%3Fview%3Dmd&docid=sO2CNBRmmjG9jM&imgurl=http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2364/3538970776149b42fd0f.jpg&w=500&h=380&ei=fVaiTvq3HMSW8QP83enYBQ&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=826&vpy=458&dur=49&hovh=196&hovw=258&tx=141&ty=110&sig=102908990518848581194&page=2&tbnh=128&tbnw=168&start=31&ndsp=30&ved=1t:429,r:4,s:31

Like this post
Crosstrainer2

Likes # 0

Sorry, can only post a general link to the page:

[Essex Flood ]1

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

It's taken from an odd angle. There is probably docks in the foreground or at least a quayside and the hill in the background may have a lighthouse or coastguard or signalling station on top of it. It may be a chalk hill.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

It looks more like a Landslip to me rather than a flood.

Like this post
diy

Likes # 0

Ilfracombe?

Like this post  
cycoze

Likes # 0

diy, with that zig zag path you might be right.

Like this post
cycoze

Likes # 0

I think diy is correct, looks like the tower of St Philip & St James Church on Ropery Road

Nearest picture of Capstone Hill from similar angle I can find is here

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

LED vs Halogen: Why now could be the right time to invest in LED bulbs

IDG UK Sites

Christmas' best ads: See great festive spots studios have created to promote themselves and clients

IDG UK Sites

Ultimate iOS 8 Tips: 35 awesome and advanced tips for using iOS 8 on iPhone and iPad