We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Another annoying advert

Covergirl
Resolved

Likes # 0

We've just got rid of the video ad, now there's something (from Microsoft I think) rending the screen asunder and putting the two halves back together when you close it. Unfortunately for me, this action corrupts the screen slightly, but a refresh sorts it out.

Like this post
N47.

Likes # 0

Installed spyware blaster and stopped it completely.

Great as it was getting in pasted my IE options to block them.

Like this post
Covergirl

Likes # 0

Well, I must say that on a scale of 1 to 10 it's getting to be a bit of a 5.

Now today, when I logged into PCA, it started its animation. OK, so all it takes is a refresh, so click !

Page refreshed, advert re-appears. Thought I'd leave it to expire itself - no such luck - it's now stuck on permanently and clicking the white X in the black circle generates a "MICROSOFT OFFICE 365" advert in a new window. Every time.

Probably just my works installation of IE7 compounded with XP SP3.

Hey-ho - a new instance of IE soon sorted everything out, although the Office 365 advert is still stuck there in the original instance.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Having been on the PCA website for about an hour today, the Microsoft advert does seem to be prolific with Chrome and XP?.

Like this post
Al94

Likes # 0

I suspect these sort of ads are so intrusive that they have exactly the opposite effect on site visitors than the advertisers would wish!

Like this post
Matt Egan

Likes # 0

Al94 - I tend to agree with you, and we regularly pass on similar feed back to advertisers. In this particular case, we're working hard to limit the impact of this ad on the forums, and hope you'll see some improvement soon.

Apologies for the inconvenience.

Matt

Like this post
Covergirl

Likes # 0

Ha Ha - "hope you'll see some improvement soon."

I've had the ad no less than 4 times today - twice in the last minute.

It almost drives one towards adblocking software . . . :(

Like this post  
robgf

Likes # 0

I use a proxy, but it doesn't stop the yellow Microsoft advert. It stops Opera in it's tracks and I have to refresh the page. A very bad advert, almost malware.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

I also have Spywareblaster as well as rdave13's advice, and do not see the advert in IE9

Like this post
namtas

Likes # 0

Although I haven't seen it admitted, their must be a special reason why this site attracts so much discussion created by the intrusions that its adverts create. I am not aware of any other site that displays such an extraordinary large number of adverts that are so intrusive and to such an extent that they intrude in such a way as this present one does to temporary halt all other activity until it has made it's point whatever that point may be. I cannot recall any other sites that I visit that has this level of interference. I therefore have come to assume that we have to accept that the site is a testing ground for advertisers who are using special techniques to measuring user reactions
This to me is not a big problem, it certainly is not life threatening, it isn't giving me high blood pressure, rather I liken it to a pimple on my nose I keep seeing it through the corner of my eye but I can't do anything about it.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

namtas it could also be that the site is so popular that the advertisers feel that it's money well spent advertising on here.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Moto G2 (2014) vs Moto E comparison review: New Moto G is worth the extra cash

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Oculus Rift 'Crescent Bay' prototype hands-on: it's an amazing experience

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...