We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Puzzled of Edinburgh....

gengiscant

Likes # 0

Why do the media, press/TV and politicians, when they want to show that their parties policies include being tough on crime continually report that any neerdowell,(selected as my favorite word of the day), crook,criminal,the odd politician, never a banker, when receiving a prison sentence tell us total years a judge has given. When in reality it is a lot less and in many many cases these people do less than half the term?

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

Because the Judges sentence can/will be modified by the governments policy or at the whims of the civil service.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

Because this is the maximum sentence the convicted person will serve, any time spent on remand is taken off this sentence straight away, then any further reductions depend on a number of factors, such as good behaviour in prison (admitting guilt, showing genuine remorse, attending therapy etc).

You have to realise that if every prisoner spent their whole sentence inside we'd need many more prisons for a start, and there would be absolutely no incentive for many (not most, as most prisoners are generally well behaved inside) prisoners to act like human beings inside. You'd have a prison system like the US where the convicts are treated like animals, so they behave like animals.

Like this post
Kevscar1

Likes # 1

or they are animals and get treated as such rather than molly coddled

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

Kevscar

No one could accuse you of being a wishy washy liberal.

The fact is that if you treat people well, not in luxury, but treat them as fellow human beings, they respond in kind.

Yes you are in prison as a punishment, but just removing their liberty is enough punishment for most offenders.

Like this post
gengiscant

Likes # 0

alan14

Yes you are in prison as a punishment, but just removing their liberty is enough punishment for most offenders.

I don't think so.Re-offending rates top 70% in some prisons and overall 50% of prisoners re-offend.

Like this post
Graphicool1

Likes # 0

gengiscant

"Re-offending rates top 70% in some prisons and overall 50% of prisoners re-offend."

The fact that once released from prison they then have a record, might just have something to do with that. Perhaps the powers that be should also find them a job to be released to. That's not to say that they should get preferencial treatment over law abiding citizens.

Here is just one idea that I've had, perhaps for the first year on the outside, they could be released into the custody of an open prison and wear ankle monitors. The jobs they could do would be the sort that used to be called menial, servial and degrading. Cleaners of toilets, bad graffiti, removing chewing gum, from pavements, dog ends, dog poo, late night revellers vomit.

If the sort of scum that would contemplate premeditated theft and violence were to be made aware that a year of this would be waiting for them after they left prison. It might just go some way toward making them think twice in the first place. Just the thought of the humiliation they would have to endure. It would - in my opinion - go a long way toward robbing them of any cudos that they might otherwise have got from their homies.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

"The fact is that if you treat people well, not in luxury, but treat them as fellow human beings, they respond in kind"

I'm afraid that is not "a fact".

Some will respond in this way, others will see it as a sign of weakness and take advantage.

Like this post
badgery

Likes # 0

gengiscant "*removing their liberty is enough punishment for most offenders. I don't think so*"

If removal of liberty is not enough punishment in your eyes, just what would you want? Regular beatings, maybe?

It's easy to say prisoners are molly-coddled when you are sitting outside prison.

Like this post
gengiscant

Likes # 0

Badgery

I cannot see anywhere in my posts when I have used the word "Molly-coddled". But you are quite right I do not think that prison is particularly hard these days and I do not think I need to experience prison life to have an opinion on it. Or perhaps you are of a different view.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

gengiscant

But you are quite right I do not think that prison is particularly hard these days and I do not think I need to experience prison life to have an opinion on it.

So you're psychic?

I've never been locked up, but I have visited several prisons, and they're not very nice places at all.

There is a constant air of violence, rather like being in a pub in the wrong part of town, but without the alcohol (well not in plain sight anyway)...

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

LED vs Halogen: Why now could be the right time to invest in LED bulbs

IDG UK Sites

Christmas' best ads: See great festive spots studios have created to promote themselves and clients

IDG UK Sites

Ultimate iOS 8 Tips: 35 awesome and advanced tips for using iOS 8 on iPhone and iPad