We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

It's An Ill Wind ............

morddwyd

Likes # 0

Inflation up to 5%.

And me on two state pensions.

Looking forward to next April, if I haven't frozen to death by then!

(Nest year's pension rates based on this year's September inflation figures)

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

... I think you should sit down and relax.

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

Don't count your chickens etc.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

I just got in, an electricity bill.It is very comprehensive, with graphs, pie-charts, useful facts & figures, so I can't complain.But I will be turning everything off in future to lessen my next bill.

Like this post
Crosstrainer2

Likes # 0

Well. I had to give in this afternoon and put the CH on. Most experts tell me that it's best to set a temperature and leave it on. Did this las winter ( our first with this new gas CH ) and it worked well bill wise.

Trouble is, I don't like a heated bedroom, so have new room stats. Fitted this summer. Tonight, it's on all night, if I live in a sauna I shall switch it off. As for pension increase, it won't go far, but if I had to choose between food and heat.. I think I'd have the heat. I hate cold these days.

Like this post
ams4127

Likes # 0

I wish I could find a definitive answer to that question about leaving the CH on 24/7. I would assume that it would depend on whether one was living in a new(ish) well insulated house or, as I am, in a hundred year old ex-farmhouse with some double glazing and loft insulation.

I might try a comparison this winter. One month on - take gas reading. One month on/off - take reading.

We shall see.

Like this post
al's left peg

Likes # 0

I left mine on all the time last year from November to March believe it or not. It cost me a bit more in billing but not eye watering. I have just this afternoon finished lifting all the floor in the kitchen and bought 4 sheets of 8' x 4' Celotex insulation and insulated between the joists. Along with 2 cans of expandable foam filler and a roll of duct tape, I have eradicated all the draughts from a poorly constructed kitchen extension built by the previous owners.

Next up is to separate the garage and create two rooms which will stop draughts blowing up through the garage and into the house.

I have noticed a difference already heat wise in the house with what I have carried out in the kitchen. I personally think that the government should put a price cap on this Celotex/Kingspan type insulation and other types of insulation so more people will buy it.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"the government should put a price cap on this Celotex/Kingspan type insulation and other types of insulation so more people will buy it."

That can't happen - why should a manufacturing company be penalised because it makes an effective product? If some form of cost control was to be instituted it would have to be by way of a government rebate, and in the current economic climate that isn't going to happen either.

Next time you consider insulating a floor, look at a product called 'Superquilt'. It's extremely effective, easy to install, and provides a higher level of insulation. It can also be used to insulate a flat or pitched roof.

Like this post
Simsy

Likes # 0

A price cap shouldn't happen, for the reason suggested; why should a company be penalised. However what could be done is to reduce/remove VAT on such products.

How effective this would be, from a government perspective, only the folks with the figures could say.

And talking of figures... FE says in that last post, talking of "superquilt" that it, "provides a higher level of insulation". You don't specify what the comparison is with, but I infer that you mean with Celotex, (and similar)... I'm happy to be proved wrong if you have figures, but I suspect that isn't true. It obviously depends on the relevant thicknesses of what's being compared. I've recently had dealings with a thermal engineer because of Building Control regulations. His only interest is in "doing the sums", for which he'll receive a fee, and has no interest with any company or distributor. When ever I've asked which is the best product, (empirally speaking), for a specific application, he's come up witha choice of various boards, never any of the various "quilts"

Regards,

Simsy

Like this post
gengiscant

Likes # 0

It's an I'll wind....

When I saw your post heading I supposed you were suffering a similar medical complaint to myself with it's rather unpleasant side effects.LOL.

But on a more serious note I am trying to delay switching on my heating by at least a month which in Scotland is no easy thing and I will be setting the thermostat lower prior to turning on the heating in the hope of fooling myself that it is warmer than it actually is. Fortunately or unfortunately, due to cancer treatment ruining my throat I no longer eat solid food, all liquid supplements supplied by the NHS I can spend a bit more on keeping warm,as with Crosstrainer2 I hate the cold these days and find it difficult to get warm once I have become cold. But that's down to a buggered Thyroid gland,another plus of the treatment.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Crosstrainer2

I have also been told that it is cheaper to keep the heating on 24/7 rather than start from cold all of the time.

I don't like the heating on at night as it makes to many noises with the pipes expanding and contracting.

It must be an age thing as it never bothered me having it on 24/7 when I was a bit younger.

But any noise now wakes me and the hard job is trying to get back to sleep.

I think the worst thing for making the houses cold is the wooden flooring that most women prefer but pretty cold on the feet at this time of year.

Give me a good carpet any time.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Sony PlayStation 5 release date, price and specs UK: When is the PS5 coming out?

IDG UK Sites

New Apple TV release date rumours, features: 'new Apple TV next week' rumour

IDG UK Sites

Mobile email is powerful and useful - but also hopelessly intrusive

IDG UK Sites

How the Oculus Rift VR headset is helping train the surgeons of tomorrow