We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Sometimes there is justice in the world!

gengiscant

Likes # 0

About a half hour ago on answering a knock at my door i opened it to find one of my local councilors looking to get my support for something or other. But he had not done his home work as on the third of this month I had sent an email to the three councilors for this area asking why the roads department sends out these vehicles that mechanically sweep the gutters or would do if there were not so many cars parked, after all those still fortunate to have a job are more likely to be off at the weekends so it stands to reason more cars will be parked.

For quite sometime now as I walked to get my paper on a Saturday/Sunday morning I could almost guarantee that I would spot one or more of these vehicles driving down the road with an occasional swerve towards the kerb should a gap allow,which was not often.In these times of major cuts it seems an incredible waste of money, something that Edinburgh is very good at doing,we have the tram fiasco after all.

Of the three councilors I emailed, on one (labour) answered very promptly,agreed with me,said he would get back to me later in day after making inquiries, Still waiting. One replied 3 days later asking what area I stayed in, I replied but assured her that this waste happened all over Edinburgh,seemingly.The third, and the reason for my post eventually replied to my email as follows.

**Thank you for your email sent to Councillor xxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxx office. Please be advised that Councillor xxxxxxxxx noted your comments.

Please do not hesitate to contact us if we can assist you in the future.* Which I took to mean *please do not bother me, I am not interested. When I asked him about my email to him and his reply to me and did he have an explanation. Flustered would be a good word to describe him,I got the impression that he would liked to have been annoyed at my audacity in confronting him, but I am a big man and he isn't. Anyway he declined to explain himself, mumbled something about being very busy and off he went. I must admit I was a tad disappointed that he did not spout the normal political gibberish so belove by these people when speaking to the "ordinary" man.I don't think he will be expecting my vote in the future.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Road sweeper? I haven't seen one in the 14 yrs I've lived in my present house!

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

is that one of them that leans on a brush?

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

...at least you got it off your chest...other people suck!.

Like this post
cream.

Likes # 0

We have one, mechanical road sweeper, that visits every Friday @ 8.am. The roads are generally empty or residents park their vehicles on their driveways early Friday so we get clean streets. Works very well. We also have a paid man who wanders around every Monday morning to pick up any stray litter.

As for councilors. At the last local election we had one standing outside the village library with paraphernalia in hand. All residents went out of there way to walk on the opposite side of the road.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

I live in the south-side of Glasgow in a block of flats that gets really good services from the council.With autumn leaves falling, and drains getting blocked,(I've heard this mentioned on BBC weather forecasts),why can't able bodied citizens, with brush in hand, and shovels too, help out with the council's lack of resources....come on everybody, brush for victory!

Like this post
OTT_B

Likes # 0

AitchBEE

"why can't able bodied citizens, with brush in hand, and shovels too, help out with the council's lack of resources"

'Elf and safety, AitchBEE. Are you trained to use a brush, broom or other form of bristled debris moving equipment? ;)

Failing that, the unions might have a go!

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

...OTT_B...I am trained.. 40 years. Give me a brush... now! Don't give me any subsequent good answers, otherwise...I may not conform.

Like this post
gengiscant

Likes # 0

Cream As I stay in a flat,one of six in a block in area which is made up of this type of building, so driveways are not common place. But my main points are being missed here. The complete waste of money because the vehicles cannot do the job they were designed to to because of parked cars and my other point of the complete lack of interest shown by my local council representatives. I would imagine it is seen as a great number for the drivers of these vehicles, a nice quite drive around the streets whilst being paid an enhanced rate for weekend working. Nice work if you can get it.

Like this post
Terry Brown

Likes # 0

Gengiscant

You seem to be missing the point--

The council sends it's work crews out on 'Rounds' (blocks of streets) to do their job. If they cannot do their jobs, because so many cars are blocking the Kerbs and gutters, whose fault is it?

This is NOT the councils fault as they have sent out cleaning Vehicles to do what they can.

Would you rather that the council did not come around at all, come to that, if the roads are full perhaps the dustmen shoudn't call as it is hazardous getting between all these parked cars.

Terry

Like this post
gengiscant

Likes # 0

terry Brown

How on earth am I missing the point? As far as you are concerned its car drivers who are at fault for having the temerity to park their cars outside of their houses at the weekend. How foolish of then not to have realized that Saturday or Sunday at some point in the day the council crews will possible be doing their rounds and need the sides of the roads clear of parked vehicles.

And as for the dustmen, these days,round my way anyway, they just wheel the bins out to the back of the vehicle, and yes between parked cars, because there is the room,not enough to get a roadside cleaning lorry in and out of, but I think you get the idea.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Amazon Fire HD 6 is a really good value tablet. The Amazon Fire HD 7 isn't. Amazon Fire HD 6 and...

IDG UK Sites

Why Sony's PS4 2.0 update is every gamer's dream (well, mine at least)

IDG UK Sites

ACLU's Halloween-themed animation warns of dangers of ignoring threats to your privacy

IDG UK Sites

20 lesser-known tips for Mac OS X Yosemite: use Yosemite like an expert