We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Wales Considered Cheating

morddwyd

Likes # 0

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/welsh/15347253.stm

The fact that it was even a thought, let alone discussed, is disgraceful and in my view does no credit to Wales, their coach, or Rugby Union in general.

Cheating apppears to be becoming endemic in so many professional so-called sports.

Like this post
badgery

Likes # 0

FE "I have no way of knowing what was said, and by whom."

Exactly! In the original recording I think the expression used was "..it was discussed..", specifically not "I had discussed...".

So it may have been a case that an assistant had said, "..shall we do such and such", and Gatland simply said "No".

That scenario would have fitted, and so to still heap condemnation on him is, to my mind, unjustified, when, as you rightly say, we have no way of knowing 'what was said by whom'.But he did still tell the truth - a rare commodity? Or would we all be better off not knowing when cheating was thought about or discussed in all sport? Ignorance is bliss?

I think we may have to agree to disagree on this one.

Like this post
badgery

Likes # 0

fourm member

The 'discussion' could still have been as I suggested - as FE says, none of us actually know.

He was honest enough to say there had been such a thing, can you even imagine how many rugby coaches have had these 'discussions' and simply never owned up? But, of course, we cannot castigate them because we were never aware ( OK to do it as long as you keep quiet afterwards - ethically, an interesting premise!).

Gatland was honest about it, perhaps a breath of fresh air in the game of rugby? Or do we prefer these things just take place in secret, "if you don't tell us then we can still feel virtuous about the game?"

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 release date, price, features: 30 September marked for unveiling

IDG UK Sites

Gateway to your kingdom: why everybody should check and update their broadband router

IDG UK Sites

Netflix whips up 3D VR viewing room for Oculus Rift during company hack day

IDG UK Sites

Best Mac? Complete Apple Mac buyers guide for 2014