We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Wales Considered Cheating

morddwyd

Likes # 0

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/welsh/15347253.stm

The fact that it was even a thought, let alone discussed, is disgraceful and in my view does no credit to Wales, their coach, or Rugby Union in general.

Cheating apppears to be becoming endemic in so many professional so-called sports.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Crosstrainer2

**"The Point is That what he COULD have done he didn't."**

At the risk of being considered argumentative (not that I'm known for it)that isn't the point at all.

The real point is that it was discussed in the box - note that word 'discussed', and only then was the idea rejected. It's made worse by the fact that the national team coach saw fit to disclose the fact at a press conference - he should have had the good sense to say nothing.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

badgery

"one honest man says they considered BUT wouldn't do it, so he gets slated!"

He's being slated - as you put it - because a truly honest man in his position shouldn't even have discussed cheating. Please don't make him out to be some kind of hero because he decided not to go ahead with it.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

...'so-called sports', precisely.I'm gonna call up 'Health 'n' Safety'.The Gladiators in ancient Rome, probably had a better 'Work's Supervisor'. ...I don't know about 'Welsh Rugby Managers'.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

AitchBEE

Please go and stand outside my office.

Like this post
ams4127

Likes # 0

All this fuss about the possibility of cheating in Rugby is rather amusing.

Let's go back a few months to the Welsh/Irish match in the Six Nations championship. Did not the Welsh win by scoring a try after taking a throw in using a known illegal ball? Strangely, I don't remember them castigating the referee for his (wrong) decision on that occasion!!

The old saying applies "What goes round, comes round"

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

ams1427

I think you're in the wrong thread. This is not about castigating the referee, but the Welsh coach!

Like this post
Chegs ®™

Likes # 0

He was wrong to consider/discuss cheating,and even worse to utter the words within "earshot" of a journalist.He then tries to blame the Ref for making him consider/discuss cheating.The simple fact is,cheating is wrong & anyone who considers/discusses the notion of cheating should expect morally sound people to be critical.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

And now every part of their game play will be scrutinised with a suspecting and wary eye, this will run and run for sometime yet.

Like this post
badgery

Likes # 0

Chegs *" should expect morally sound people to be critical. ."*

My question, earlier, about being truthful in interviews for jobs etc, if I was to think about giving an answer which wasn't strictly true, but conveyed a better impression, would morally sound people criticise me?

My opinion is that there are not many 'morally sound' people around if the criteria is never to have even thought about 'cheating'. Who can honestly say they have never done such a thing?

This man was simply being honest about his thought - something, I suggest, that most of us would have never said openly. So one could say that makes him more honest, because he admitted his guilty thoughts, but didn't act on them.

And contrary to FE saying I was trying to make him a hero - I said no such thing, just that he was honest enough to own up to guilty thoughts. If only we all could - because we all have them!

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

badgery

"And contrary to FE saying I was trying to make him a hero - I said no such thing, just that he was honest enough to own up to guilty thoughts. If only we all could - because we all have them!"

Try to get your facts right.

He didn't own up to guilty thoughts, he said that he had discussed cheating in the box. A thought is one thing; actively discussing the possibility of deliberately cheating in a rugby world cup match is totally different. This man is the Welsh national team coach, for goodness sake, and by his admission he invites people to think that what actually happened was that a discussion about cheating was really a discussion about the chances of being found out, and had the risk seemed worth it, the cheating would have taken place.

I'm not saying that was the case, I'm saying that people will think it was. I have no way of knowing what was said, and by whom.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Apple's 2014 highlights: the most significant Apple news of 2014

IDG UK Sites

Watch this heartwarming Christmas short by Trunk for composer John Rutter

IDG UK Sites

Ultimate iOS 8 Tips: 35 awesome and advanced tips for using iOS 8 on iPhone and iPad