We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Wales Considered Cheating

morddwyd

Likes # 0

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/welsh/15347253.stm

The fact that it was even a thought, let alone discussed, is disgraceful and in my view does no credit to Wales, their coach, or Rugby Union in general.

Cheating apppears to be becoming endemic in so many professional so-called sports.

Like this post
Crosstrainer2

Likes # 0

Badgery

He was trying to, he's a great coach, but a rather poor public speaker. Being a keen follower of club Rugby here in Wales, you see this all the time.

It's used as a tactic and should be stopped. Problem is of course, you'd need a doctor to perform a thorough examination of the "Injured" player, taking up time and not really feasible.

Uncontested scrums in the semi final, would almost certainly have resulted in a Welsh victory.....I think that was the point he was trying to make when he said we COULD have.

He didn't and I'm glad...!

Like this post
Bingalau

Likes # 0

crosstrainer2 I love watching both codes of the game of rugby, but never learned the game at school. I actually spent my formative years at a school very nearly in Wales, just across the border in Shropshire. But there was no sport at all there that I can remember although the only teacher in the school taught everything else I suspect he just didn't have the time to oversee sports at all. Back home in Liverpool of course it was always football/soccer and so I never learned the rules of rugby. So I am sometimes puzzled about what is happening but I love watching the game and will be up bright and early to watch the final and the semi-final of course. Like you I think the final is a foregone conclusion. NZ by the proverbial mile. I'm looking forward more to the semi-final and here's hoping Wales can beat the Ozzies. At the moment I think they can. Fingers crossed..... By the way I think Wales were robbed blind.

Like this post
badgery

Likes # 0

Rugby League did away with these types of contested scrums years ago and, to my mind, benefits greatly.

The number of times in Union you see how much of a game is wasted due to having to keep re-forming the pack following collapses etc., is far too great. It also slows the game down, and is always a tactical opportunity for penalties - which, again IMHO, gives 'kickers' far too much prominence in every match.

There, now I've sorted out the rules of rugby, what next??

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

Anyone - why do some rugby players get cauliflower ears?

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

Because you get to stick your ears between adjoining thighs in the scrum, and there is a continuing potential for them to be ripped off.

Like this post
Crosstrainer2

Likes # 0

And noses broken, and ankles shattered, and yet still a game of gentle support I mean compared to that other game? I simply can not understand the violence in the game of football. Ive tried watching it, just can't get in the least bit intrested.

I'm afraid the same goes for Rugby league Fussy old bugger I am.

Like this post
badgery

Likes # 0

"...he acted in the spirit of the game by considering cheating."

To be completely fair you should have added "..and decided to reject that path".

How many of us have been in an interview for a position, and when asked a particular question instantly thought 'How can I embellish this answer' or ' How can I answer this and yet conceal something I'd rather he didn't know' ?

Anyone who can say they had never considered such thoughts is a saint or a liar.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Crosstrainer2

**What he actually said was: We COULD have feigned an injury resulting in uncontested scrums. COULD being the operative word**.

No it wasn't.

What he actually said - and I've listened to it about ten times today - was:-

"....We discussed in the box that we fake an injury to one of our props"

As the son of a rugby-playing Welshman I would dearly love not to have heard Warren Gatland say a thing like that, but I'm afraid he did.

Like this post
Crosstrainer2

Likes # 0

The Point is

That what he COULD have done he didn't. Expletives deleted, He is as I posted previously not he most eloquant of public speakers.

His comments have been b;own over the top by the press....... Now I shall get my hat, coat and crutches and go for a limp.

Like this post
badgery

Likes # 0

" when the money becomes more important than the sport."

Nowadays money is all that matters at the top of almost all sports, and so all top players and coaches will at some time have considered 'bending rules' etc for advantage (pity the recent 'fake' blood perpetrators had not done a Gatland?).

Normally we never hear about their 'thoughts' - yet one one honest man says they considered BUT wouldn't do it, so he gets slated!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

7 coolest 3D-printed objects: Body parts, houses, camera lenses and even pizza

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 review: Hands on with the iOS 8 beta

IDG UK Sites

Thinking robots: The philosophy of artificial intelligence and evolving technology

IDG UK Sites

Sharknado 2 VFX: how The Asylum created CG flying man-eating sharks