We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

A shocking lack of humanity!

Flak999

Likes # 0

What is the reason that ordinary people would disregard this small child in desperate need of help. What does it say about humanity that two drivers can run over this child and leave her to die in the road, and many passers by just look the other way?

Chinese toddler

I warn you this video is distressing!

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

Remember that some people in China, much like many other parts of Asia, have no qualms whatsoever about maiming their children so that they are more valuable for begging...

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

I think that we only need to reflect back to Baby P, and how that came to the public's attention.

It happened before, and its happened since.

I recall many years ago while in South East Asia, being instructed that if you knocked a child down 'never ever' stop, but try to go direct to a police station or armed forces barrack and obtain assistance. If you stopped to provide help to the injured child, there would be the possibility of serious assault or far worse by the locals taking revenge.

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

the 3rd world look on life differently to western nations. to us its very sad & tragic. but to some in these area's where life is hard and they have loads of kids its more like the loss of a pet.

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

In a land where begging is almost commonplace, the reaction of the passers-by is not as extraordinary as we, in the West, would expect.

What is unexpected is the Public Reaction which shows a radical change to that which would have occurred, say, 10 years ago. China is changing and values, more akin to those of the West, are beginning to take root.

Their Government would do well to look to it's laurels and start cascading the benefits of growing literacy and prosperity.

Like this post
OTT_B

Likes # 0

spuds

The same advice still applies in many countries. Notably South Africa, a supposed developed nation.

Like this post
Flak999

Likes # 0

I wonder if we would behave in the same callous fashion if we saw a child lying bleeding at the side of the road in this country? Which one of us would stop to help? Which one of us would walk on by?

I have to say that putting myself into the position of a sea captain spotting a Somali fishing boat would be the last thing I would think of! (what a very curious analogy for this situation!)

I suppose it all comes down to a persons common humanity and empathy for another human being in trouble.

I spent thirty years in the fire service dealing with tragedy's such as this and I know for certain what my actions would be.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Flak999

Unless you've experienced Chinese society it's very difficult to understand things like this, and of course there's a tendency for us all to make judgements, based on our own set of circumstances. You may well know how you would act were you to see a child in this situation in your own country, but I can assure you that you may well behave quite differently if you were a native Chinese citizen.

fourm member's comment that Chinese people "are accustomed to keeping out of contact with authority as much as possible." is absolutely right. I've visited the country many times, and I've always been struck by the Chinese attitude of 'keep your head below the parapet at all costs'. Ordinary people will avoid becoming involved in anything that doesn't directly concern them if they possibly can. It doesn't mean that they are callous, or that they lack humanity or empathy - that's an assumption you've made, but it's very wide of the mark.

Chinese people love their children as much as people anywhere, and they are as capable of compassion as you. Where things differ is that they live in an atmosphere of repression, and the denial of basic human rights, and you don't. They're scared of the possible consequences of becoming involved - it's a horrible way to have to live, but their fear is very real. You hear numerous stories about how good Samaritans often come to regret their good deeds.

Like this post
Flak999

Likes # 0

Forum Editor

it's a horrible way to have to live

It certainly is! I have never been to China, but one sees it as a developing nation and an economic powerhouse and so I suppose one assumes that the values that you subscribe to are also subscribed to by others in what is fast becoming a world superpower.

You say that the Chinese are as capable of compassion and empathy as you or I? I saw precious little of it displayed in the video I linked to, The first van driver having run the little girl down stops and looks and then drives over her legs as he leaves the scene!

truly despicable!

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

I did wonder where the parents were while all this neglect was happening.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

I have just read the report in the China Digital Times 'Toddler Declared "Brain Dead" in Guangdong Hit-and-Run Tragedy'

Horrific.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nexus 6 vs Sony Xperia Z3 comparison: Lollipop phablet takes on KitKat flagship smartphone

IDG UK Sites

Why people aren't upgrading to iOS 8: new features are for power users, not the average Joe

IDG UK Sites

Free rocket & space sounds: NASA launches archive of interstellar audio on SoundCloud

IDG UK Sites

iPad Air 2 review: Insanely fast and alarmingly thin. Speed tests, camera tests, beautiful...