We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Last Of The Summer Wine...

Quickbeam

Likes # 0

I know that a lot of thought it was great, and I always thought it was past it's sell by date in the first series, so I just watched the first episode on Yesterday (don't ask why) and GOD! it never changed at all in all that time! Same gags, same slapstick, same dour cafe characters, same yawn...

I knew I was right when I said it was past it's sell by date by about 140 years...

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

I think you have to be over 80 to appreciate the 'cutting' humour.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

No, you simply have to see yourself, and friends, in the parts concerned.

Imagine them as teenagers, no work, no responsibility, except they're fifty years older.

It's simply an updated version of "The \Likely Lads".

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

In Scotland, we have a great comedy TV show about two old Glesga' geezers, called "Still Game". It's a hoot!

Like this post
peter99co

Likes # 0

My nine year old thinks it's great. She watches the repeats as well.

I watch when it's on Gold. I know it's corny but so what. It's a laugh.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

I always thought it was past it's sell by date in the first series, so I just watched the first episode on Yesterday

So you didn't like it the first time round but you watched it again?

Smacks a little of masochism - you want to be careful, you'll be tuning into all sorts of dross TV next :0)

Personally I wasn't too keen on the first series but it grew on me -- went on far too long though.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

Further to my reference to teenagers fifty years on.

I can remember being seen off by the night watchman at Thomas Owen's paper mill in Cardiff when we were trying to make off with three oil drums.

For what purpose? Well to get inside and roll down Caerau Hill of course!

There was also the incident of the home made mortar (projector, not cement), the cannons at Pembroke Castle and too many home made rafts which didn't float to even keep a record of!

I have no hesitation in saying that if Ian and Mitch were with me now we'd still be up for it, and I simply don't believe I'm the only one on this forum of similar mind.

Last of the Summer Wine was (is) a record of my youth, and a projection of my aspirations.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

That's the best explanation I've read in favour of Last of the Summer Wine, but I still don't see how they got away with it for 40 years!

Like this post
Crosstrainer2

Likes # 0

I'm afaid I was never a fan, SOmething about it left me a bit cold.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

6 cheapest 4K TVs in the UK 2014: Get a UHD telly without breaking the bank

IDG UK Sites

Apple MacBook Air (11-inch, 256GB, Early 2014) lab tests and benchmarks

IDG UK Sites

How to stop your parents opening and responding to phishing emails

IDG UK Sites

Google to ship first Project Ara developer boards in July