We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Any mathematicians out there?

chub_tor
Resolved

Likes # 0

I have a horizontal cylindrical oil tank that holds 2500 litres of heating oil. The diameter of the tank is 130cm and it has a vertical tube up the middle showing the oil level.

I would like to mark on that tube at say roughly 10cm increments from the middle of the tank downwards how much oil I need to order to fill the tank up again.

Does anyone have any idea how to make the volume calculations to do this. Remember the tank is horizontal if it was vertical even I could do it.

Like this post
anskyber

Likes # 0

If it is a relatively new tank then the chances are the tank will itselve be tanked, ie another smaller tank inside so there is a bund if there is spillage or failure.

I have used an electronic device before called a watchman, this transmits to a readout in you house and I found it to be very reliable.

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

Tangalooma_2006 Thanks for the link it enabled me to do a bit more checking and I came across this site which with a bit of jiggling to calculate the amount I need to order as opposed to the amount remaining enabled me to mark up my tank with some degree of confidence.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals UK: Get bargains on phones, tablets, laptops and more this Black...

IDG UK Sites

Tomorrow's World today (or next year)

IDG UK Sites

25 iOS apps turn (Red) for World AIDS Day campaign

IDG UK Sites

Advanced tips for Mac OS X Yosemite: use Yosemite like an expert - 5 new tips added