We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Bad Mushroom Year?

morddwyd

Likes # 0

Has this been a bad mushroom year?

Most years I mange to get a few, but this year I've seen nothing.

I'm talking about the ordinary common field mushroom, not the more exotic types.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Perhaps off subject, but a few years ago we bought one of those mushroom tub kits from a garden centre. For some reason or another, the contents and remains where deposited at the bottom of the garden. Every year since, we have had a crop at various times, but we wouldn't fancy eating what pops-up. All yellow mushroom shaped looking clusters.

Tried digging up, putting Jeyes fluid down, but whatever they are, they are winning the battle.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

I think the low temperature of the ground, and the variance of the weather has stunted the growth of some vegetables, fruits and fungi. I am optimistic, that next year will see a bourgening of last year's 'failures'.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

Plenty of fungi when on I'm out with the dog, but none that I'd dare to eat...

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

I usually get about three Sunday breakfasts worth of field mushrooms from one corner of my lawn. This year the harvest has been poor - two breakfasts.

Hope springs eternal - there's always next year.

Like this post
Covergirl

Likes # 0

I've not seen anything in the fields either - well, nothing resembling edible field or horse mushrooms.

The 2 kits of spawn I "planted" have yielded nothing either - see this earlier thread

I was out on a walk the other day and noticed lots of different fungi on the lake district fells - nothing edible of course. Also one of those fairy mushrooms (red with white spots) in the woods.

There is a large patch of fungi growing by a local footpath - almost a ring of them. They look a bit like honey fungus but that's just from what a fungi images search found on Google.

Like this post
ams4127

Likes # 0

I have never seen so many mushrooms as I have this year. I have picked, eaten or given away, several shopping bags full of them from our golf course here at RAF Valley, on Anglesey. Loads of plums in the garden but a very poor apple crop.

We've had a lovely dry summer.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

ams4127

Glad to hear Valley is producing well.

St Mawgan used to be fantastic, rarely had to go more than fifty metres, or yards in those days, to get a bagful.

Got the biggest horse mushroom I've ever seen there, up on the old Trebelzue site, must have been nigh on two foot across, and still very tasty.

Like this post
Covergirl

Likes # 0

There's always one . . . LoL There has to be !!

Well, that's me hols booked in Anglesey. I'll be taking the trailer :)

Like this post
Phil_Kernow

Likes # 0

Ok, this is weird but I found a giant horsemushoom today at work and thought I would Google "largest horse mushroom" and this forum poppId up in the results. The funny thing is that I currently work at RAF St Mawgan and the site where I found it is called Trebelzue!

Still growing monster mushrooms! Phil

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

Good old Trebelzue, still doing the business!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Sony PlayStation 5 release date, price and specs UK: When is the PS5 coming out?

IDG UK Sites

New Apple TV release date rumours, features: 'new Apple TV next week' rumour

IDG UK Sites

Mobile email is powerful and useful - but also hopelessly intrusive

IDG UK Sites

How the Oculus Rift VR headset is helping train the surgeons of tomorrow