We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Preventing The Ad Video From Running

Crosstrainer2
Resolved

Likes # 0

I notice today, that a video file auto plays when I'm on the site. Is there a way to prevent this from occurring? I've just been using the pause button, which stops it temporarily, but it resumes play when I return to the page.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

If they had Fred Astaire 'n' Ginger Rodgers dancing in the background, then that would swing my dosh!

Like this post
¿ unsure ¿

Likes # 0

Flak999

Agree with your last posting.

This site may not run without advertisements but it also would not function without posters.

Like this post
robgf

Likes # 0

If others who block adverts are like me, I doubt we reduce the web sites revenue by much, as I'm not much of a shopper (tight as a ducks ~~~~) and I cant remember the last time I was swayed to buy something because of an advert.

Adverts on a page don't annoy me, it's the loading time of adverts that I find irritating, they are always the culprit in the status bar, struggling to connect.

Like this post  
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

The annoyance with this particular one is the frequency with which it repeats the same waffle, especially when your looking at a different tab and the same story starts again.

It's much like the BBC's news 24 channel on a no-news day, whale stranded in estuary, unexpected heat wave, first snowfall on the high tops, sofa sale at DFS...

I still just have the sound turned down as I don't think that it'll be around for too long, such is the extent of the annoyance reading through this thread, even the ones that usually defend the ads as the life line of PCA have written some pretty harsh words against it.

Like this post
Blubottle

Likes # 0

please just give us the option of muting the sound or a "skip this ad button". regards

Like this post
Covergirl

Likes # 0

I think it's gone . . . !!!

There's something similar in the same spot but it's now from KODAK.

It doesn't land on the video section and when you do click the video tab, it's paused waiting for you to tell it to start.

Yes, it was rather annoying if you had the volume turned on, and anyone with a slow connection would have been hampered by the constant download of the same video file after every click.

That's progress - and thanks to the team who made it stop happening. Errrrm . . .

Like this post
Crosstrainer2

Likes # 0

It has gone on my iPad, haven't tried my Air MBP or iMac yet today. Will try later. A blessed relief if it has stopped playing....

Like this post
Chegs ®™

Likes # 0

I was unfortunate to visit the site in the early hours & did my usual "middle mouse button" clicks on each thread title I wished to view.The noise was horrendous as umpteen videos all proceeded to play so I quickly hit the PC's mute button.I then visited the youtube video posted of a russian woman singing,and un-muted the PC trying to hear her voice but that darn video on PCA was still running.Thankfully,it has now gone & peace has returned to Speakers Corner(until the next time)Who creates these adverts as they should always include some method for the target recipients(us)to turn them off if they don't include a "run once only" feature.These kind of adverts are counter-productive,people start using ad-blocking software,cease visiting the site etc.

Like this post
Crosstrainer2

Likes # 0

Since the Ad seems to have stopped running I shall tick this resolved for now.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals: Get bargains on smartphones, tablets, laptops and more

IDG UK Sites

Tomorrow's World today (or next year)

IDG UK Sites

See how Trunk's animated ad helped Ade Edmondson plug The Car Buying Service

IDG UK Sites

Yosemite tips: Complete Guide to OS X Yosemite