We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Preventing The Ad Video From Running

Crosstrainer2
Resolved

Likes # 0

I notice today, that a video file auto plays when I'm on the site. Is there a way to prevent this from occurring? I've just been using the pause button, which stops it temporarily, but it resumes play when I return to the page.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Flak999 - I agree with you but this is one, just one, ad. Normally it isn't a problem. In fact it isn't a problem for me as I have the most intrusive ads off through an anti-banner selection. I had to revert to how the majority view to find out what the problem is and it is genuinely irritating.

Like this post
Mr Mistoffelees

Likes # 0

fourm member

Do you carefully watch all the advertisements shown on commercial television, to make sure you do not miss all the corporate messages that pay for the programmes you are watching?

Like this post
Flak999

Likes # 0

fourm member

I only very, very rarely find an advert on this site 'annoying'.

I'm very happy for you! I find ads in general very annoying as they disrupt my browsing experience, so I block them all! I'm happy with what I do and I presume you are as well?

There is no point anybody moaning about a situation that is very easily remedied, ads are like internet email spam and phishing scams, things to be loathed and avoided. Why do you think there is such a proliferation of ad-blockers and the like? Why does every browser come with built in tools to try to eliminate this rubbish?

It's the same as the unending supply of junk mail we receive through the post, it's just people trying to sell you stuff you did not even know you wanted!

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

I used to video record, really good adverts from TV circa 1980's. They are all on my video collection...I think that's what me into an 'advert adverse individual...not quite an 'Ardvaark'...but close.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

fourm member said "I don't propose to repeat my views."

Hooray for that ;)

Like this post
Flak999

Likes # 0

AitchBEE

not quite an 'Ardvaark'...

Can I have some of whatever mind altering substance you're on?!

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 1

Flak999, please don't do it, one's more than enough.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

I laugh at the advertisments on TV, nowadays,(ok this is not a TV station), I did an interpretation on 'advertising, and the effects on society' in second year, at school.Nothing has changed.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

Flak999 - yes, but get to the end of the queue. lotvic - that's the most sensible thing you have said for a while. ;0}

Like this post
Flak999

Likes # 1

fourm member

Would you like to tell us what size of subscription you will be willing to pay when this site is not viable from advertising revenue?

None! There are a plethora of sites all over the internet that don't bombard you with advertising. I stopped reading the Times online once they went behind the pay wall. I read the Telegraph, the Guardian (for a bit of balance) and my home page is the BBC news site.

As for computer advice sites well you are spoiled for choice, I like this one because I like the way FE moderates it, also by and large you don't get silly kids posting and there is no bad language tolerated.

But as to whether I would pay for those features, probably not!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best January sales 2015 UK tech deals LIVE: Best New Year bargains and savings on phones, tablets,...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Best Photoshop Tutorials 2014: 10 inspiring step-by-step guides to creating amazing art,...

IDG UK Sites

Mac tips tricks & hacks: 10 things you didn't know your Mac could do