We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Preventing The Ad Video From Running

Crosstrainer2
Resolved

Likes # 0

I notice today, that a video file auto plays when I'm on the site. Is there a way to prevent this from occurring? I've just been using the pause button, which stops it temporarily, but it resumes play when I return to the page.

Like this post
Crosstrainer2

Likes # 0

Errr....What about making up your own mind? Advise is just that. Advise. It's not a "Go out and buy this product at once" statement.

Only the constant playing is of annoyance to me.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"someone may have neglected that few moments of thought when accepting this ad."

How so?

We have a reputation for fair dealing when it comes to impartiality. Why would we want to refuse an advertiser, simply because we favourably reviewed a product?

There's no point to pursue here, so please don't try to infer otherwise just for the sake of scoring a debating point.

We'll investigate the irritation mentioned by some people, as we've said.

Like this post
peter99co

Likes # 0

I wait for for it to start then click once on the picture. It slows me down a bit though because it restarts everytime I change page and I have to click on it again.

Opt in to listen might be better!

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

fourm member

As is so often the case, you're simply trying to pick an argument so you can avoid conceding that someone else's point is a valid one. It's a totally transparent ploy, and one that I'm afraid you'll have to pursue in solitude from now on.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Interesting point about making it clear it is an ad. I another thread about this I refer to it being a PCA review video not an ad.

Like this post
Flak999

Likes # 0

Just block the ads if they bother you so much! I use Chrome with adblock and never see any of these annoying ads, popups, popunders videos or anything else!

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

Advertisements are everywhere; if you are smart, then don't look at them. Plenty of advice has been given on this forum to minimise their intrusion. You have got to live with them.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Crosstrainer2, I can't see half the ads in IE9 but see them all in firefox. I don't bother with ad blockers in ff as it's only a secondary browser. One workaround for now is click on the 'competition' tab in the Samsung ad and it stops the video. I suppose you'll need to do it whenever you go to a new page.

Like this post
Flak999

Likes # 0

fourm member

Seems like a bit of a circular argument here, people are annoyed by the ads, there is a perfectly good way of blocking the ads but this apparently harms the site, so some people don't block them and they are then annoyed by the ads and moan about it on the forum.

If the use of the forum is so disrupted by the ads that people stop using it and go elsewhere then this also will harm the forum! I say if you are bothered by the ads block them like I do, if you don't want to block them out of some altruistic notion towards the massive multi national company that is IDG media then just stop moaning about them! I'm sure IDG won't be going into receivership on the basis of a few of us blocking their corporate messages.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best January sales 2015 UK tech deals LIVE: Best New Year bargains and savings on phones, tablets,...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

2015 visual trends: 20 leading designers & artists reveal what should be inspiring us in 2015

IDG UK Sites

10 iPhone app exclusives that make Android users jealous