We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Preventing The Ad Video From Running

Crosstrainer2
Resolved

Likes # 0

I notice today, that a video file auto plays when I'm on the site. Is there a way to prevent this from occurring? I've just been using the pause button, which stops it temporarily, but it resumes play when I return to the page.

Like this post
Brumas

Likes # 0

I agree, it is so annoying, I followed the link for the 'Edyta Gorniak singer' and, whilst listening had to contend with the prattling on of the young girl spouting on about her smartphone.

I agree that we must have adverts but surely we can also have a mute button??

Like this post
Crosstrainer2

Likes # 0

Brumas

It's driving me nuts! We need an Off button!

Like this post
zzzz999

Likes # 0

ha ha, sorry I have posted similar.

Like this post
Crosstrainer2

Likes # 0

Nothing likely to happen over the weekend, but I must say the site seems to running well.....Sunday is often a nightmare, with login failures and the like.

It works, but have to keep hitting the pause button on that video. Out of interest, has anyone allowed the thing to run right through? I'm wondering if that would prevent it from running again?

Like this post
DM.

Likes # 0

What video? What site?

No adds or pop up's here!

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

no advert here.

Like this post
simonjary

Likes # 0

We'll look at limiting the auto play tomorrow. Thanks for your patience.

Regarding PCA impartiality, Matt's video review was written before any sponsorship for the campaign. And it's not completely positive, which it would be if we'd been paid for it.

I can assure you that we never allow advertising to affect our impartiality. But we'll take your comments onboard.

Thanks, Simon

Like this post
Crosstrainer2

Likes # 0

simon

I have no complaints about the content....Just the fact that it runs all the time. I've read the article anyway :))

Like this post
robgf

Likes # 0

I always use a proxy filter called Proximitron, it blocks most of the adverts and rubbish you get on some web sites.

Originally I used it because I was on dial up, so loading big adverts and Flash slowed surfing to a crawl. But when I swapped to BB and turned the Proximitron off, I realised just how much rubbish it had been protecting me from. So I turned it back on.

It works using filters, rather than a black list of advert sites (which change constantly) and can be bypassed if you want to view the complete web page. It works with any browser, but I use XP, so I have no idea if it works with newer Windows versions.

Proximitron web site

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"Does PCA really want me to be suspicious of every review on the site because I can't be sure advertisers' interests haven't had an impact on editorial?"

I've lost count of the number of times I've responded to inferences that we give products good reviews if the manufacturer pays us for advertising. If I thought for one moment that it happened I would have been long gone, years ago.

You really only have to think about it for a few moments to realise that favourably reviewing products in return for advertising revenue is a recipe for ultimate failure for a magazine. Consumers aren't stupid. I know the people who run this magazine pretty well, and I know that none of them would dream of suggesting such a course of action.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Top 5 Android tips and tricks for smartphones and tablets

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's OS X Beta Seed Program: Get OS X Yosemite on your Mac before public release

IDG UK Sites

Why the BBC iPlayer outage was caused by a DDoS attack: Topsy and Tim isn't *that* popular

IDG UK Sites

BBC using Glasgow 2014 Commonwealth Games to trial 4K/UHD, pan-around video, augmented video and...