We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

People of the world,rise up!

Forum Editor
Resolved

Likes # 0

"On October 15th, we will meet on the streets to initiate the global change we want. We will peacefully demonstrate, talk and organize until we make it happen."

Can anyone tell me how these people are going to 'make it happen', and what 'it' is?

Like this post
zzzz999

Likes # 0

woolwell, that report is nonsense if it seriously wants us to consider the impact of VAT on people by the sales method. What the report does however highlight is the stupidity of using VAT, it damages the poor the hardest and it reduces the widest population's spending power - in the middle of a recession that is incredibly stupid.

Like this post
Terry Brown

Likes # 0

What is the difference between these 'Activists' and the protest marches we had in the '60's and 70's& 80's

Provided the protest is peaceful (no one gets injured), it is a way to let off steam.

I expect some of these persons who are protesting also protested against the Mobile phone masts, while using their mobile phones to organise themselves.

Will it change anything- maybe not; but if you don't try- you never know.

Terry

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Rick'scafe - The Joseph Rowntree Foundation is a well respected organisation that produces reports on poverty and homelessness, etc and seeks to understand the root causes of social problems. I would not describe any of their reports as nonsense. It may not fit entirely with your viewpoint but that does not make it nonsense. BTW I tend to agree with you that the raising of VAT may have been undesirable.

Like this post
Flak999

Likes # 0

The Forum Editor strikes again! :)

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

shucks...

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Lets make this simple. There are two factions that are ruining this country. The 'poor' unemployed that are living better than myself (empolyed) and the Government who simply can't govern. The 'middle to upper class' fare no better in my humble opinion.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

"empolyed" a deliberate mistake to catch out the unwary...

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

PS 'check my spelling as I write' doesn't work for crappy FireFox 7.01 for me.

Like this post
badgery

Likes # 0

"..these protests are a powerful signal worldwide". Quite an interesting take on the protest by Paul Mason of Newsnight

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-15326636

His final sentence more or less says the same as I did in my original post on this thread (for which I was, of course, mocked) :-

"..for every protester...there may be many more quietly fuming in their living rooms who feel the same way."

My concern is that as we inexorably continue the slide towards further recession/depression and with the 'benefits' of 'facebook et al', protests like this will become far more prevalent - and we 'dismiss' them at our peril.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

I don't think anyone's dismissing them.

It's simply being suggested that in the long term such protests will have little effect, and, if that is not the case, how will any such effect actually come about?

Come any revolution the faceless ones will still end up running things. They may be different faceless ones, but the effect will be the same.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nokia replaces budget Lumia 520 with 530: Release date, price and specs

IDG UK Sites

Everything you need to know about Apple's iPhone Camera in iOS 8

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't trust password managers

IDG UK Sites

How to make an 'Apple iWatch' using an iPod nano and a 3D printer