We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

People of the world,rise up!

Forum Editor
Resolved

Likes # 0

"On October 15th, we will meet on the streets to initiate the global change we want. We will peacefully demonstrate, talk and organize until we make it happen."

Can anyone tell me how these people are going to 'make it happen', and what 'it' is?

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

Apple profits up by 85% to £16bn.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-15360697

Not enough for shareholders (people of the world) as Apple shares fell by 5% in disappointment.

I doubt all the protests in the world will have much impact on that sort of mindset.

Like this post
badgery

Likes # 0

FE "I think time will tell that this will simply fizzle out" (16 days ago)

click here

Yet now there have been two church resignations, and the protest seems to show little sign of abating. News reported that there were now 'occupy' demos in over 90 cities worldwide.

I suspect people are starting to take notice.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"I suspect people are starting to take notice."

I suspect that millions of ordinary people are fed up to the back teeth with seeing it on their TV news broadcasts and in their papers. I suspect that most of those ordinary people - if questioned - would have no more than a vague understanding of what the protesters hope to achieve, and in that they're joined by most of the protesters, who are there simply because they love a good protest, and the chance to relieve the boredom that fills the spaces between benefit payments.

They have so far come up with no coherent arguments,no valid suggestions as to how society might be better organised, and no ideas for solving the problems about which they say they are so concerned. They sit around playing guitars and making a general nuisance of themselves while the rest of us work hard to provide most of them with the money they spend on their tents and their alcohol.

I'm sure there are a few genuinely concerned, deep thinking people in that encampment, but from what I've seen and heard in the media they form a very small minority.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

Personally, if anyone pitched a tent near my house,I would eradicate it - no problem. The government is shilly-shallying. Get rid of them (the campers). The focus of the world's eyes can then continue to lambast the proliferation of rich bankers who still adore the god of MONEY.

Like this post
badgery

Likes # 0

FE

I was only pointing out that, like it or not, understand it or not, this protest has not just 'gone away' - and from the look of things might get worse (ILO is forecasting recession for jobs is set to get worse and opines that civil unrest might be forthcoming).

However, AitchBEE probably strengthens your argument about ordinary people's attitudes.

Like this post
Mr Mistoffelees

Likes # 0

I believe the protesters are being viewed, by most people as nothing more than an irritation. They will, eventually, drift away and they will achieve nothing.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

"nothing more than an irritation."

They're more than an irritation to me, they're a damned annoyance, and they should go the same way as those other layabouts, from Dale Farm.

Like this post
badgery

Likes # 0

" those other layabouts"

Maybe we should get used to 'these people' as the forecast from the ILO says they reckon employment levels will likely be five years before getting back to 'normal'.

That could mean we may have an extraordinary number of these 'layabouts', which could do untold damage to our present society.Or do we just try and brush them under the carpet, as it were?

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

Jesus got rid of the people who were making a nuisance of themselves in the market-place...the rest is history.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

"That could mean we may have an extraordinary number of these 'layabouts',"

What on earth made you consider, even for an instant, that I was comparing these "protesters" with the genuinely unemployed?

I was "compulsorily retired" at 50+ in the 90s and became unemployed for the first time in my life, going from an engineering manager on £25k to emptying pigswill (and glad of it). I do know about unemployment, and about the faults in the system.

The people outside St Paul's need a little bit of cold, wet and hungry to concentrate the mind before returning to their nice comfortable middle class backgrounds.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons not to wait for the Apple Watch: Why you shouldn't buy the iWatch

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

How Emotional Debt is damaging digital design

IDG UK Sites

iPhone buying advice: Should I buy an iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 5s, or iPhone 5c, or wait for7......