We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

People of the world,rise up!

Forum Editor
Resolved

Likes # 0

"On October 15th, we will meet on the streets to initiate the global change we want. We will peacefully demonstrate, talk and organize until we make it happen."

Can anyone tell me how these people are going to 'make it happen', and what 'it' is?

Like this post
carver

Likes # 0

I'm so pleased that we are not in a depression, all the story's about a Global Recession were a bit scary. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/financialcrisis/8830575/UK-economy-brought-to-grinding-halt-by-euro-crisis.html

So places like Greece, Italy, Britain etc are just having a slight blip in their economy.

In history some times the biggest changes have come from the smallest beginnings, we could be seeing the start of some thing here, it may turn out to be a damp squid but who knows.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

"In history some times the biggest changes have come from the smallest beginnings"

But very few social revolutions.

Perhaps apartheid is one, but even there there the same people run things, even though the colour of their skin might have changed.

Women's suffrage? How many women at the top in industry, how many golf club bars are out of bounds to women?

Segregation? Afro Americans may now be able to use the same door as WASPS, but in many southern states if they try to sit at the same table they will soon find themselves alone.

It's wonderful to be young and idealistic, but even Che would have to admit he has hardly changed the lot of the very poor and the very disadvantaged.

Like this post
badgery

Likes # 0

I don't think anyone's dismissing them

*"..no more than 3,000 according to the BBC which isn't much of a protest.

This is a pathetic series of world wide protests by anti - capitalists and other fringe "nutters"

Just the usual bunch of disaffected rabble-rouser's

this will simply fizzle out. There's no substance to it.."*

The above four quotes were taken straight from the first half dozen replies in this thread !!

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

"I don't think anyone's dismissing them"

I meant governments and similar authorities , rather than our own brand of fringe rabble rousers!

Like this post
badgery

Likes # 0

fourm member

As usual when things are not going your way turn to semantics and your interpretation of other posts.

If I had wanted to say "Further recession/further depression" then that is how I would have written it.

Probably this post, like others, will get deleted, as it criticises you.

Like this post
badgery

Likes # 0

You do so love to keep regurgitating that 'more knowledgeable' statement to try and further your argument - quite childish, when you originally took it to mean something different to what I have since explained.

"And now it is 200 to 300 and falling."

Yet...."The New York protests began on 17 September with a small group of activists and have swelled to include several thousand people at times, from many walks of life." (BBC news).

Or do worlwide protest not count?

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Perhaps I am missing something but what do these protesters want to put in place instead of the current system? They do not seem to have a credible alternative or is this what I am missing?

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

The protesters want change but change to what? Without some idea of what they would put in place it is very difficult to support them and it becomes rather a meaningless protest.

Like this post
Admiral Allstar

Likes # 0

All animals are equal but some animals are more equal than others.

The old ones really are the best aren't they.

Like this post
shellship

Likes # 0

Rick You work hard, pay tax and it literally goes to private individuals who have caused untold amounts of suffering and financial losses with their high-risk banking. Not correct. Yes, one works hard and pays tax but your tax goes to the Government, not to the private individuals who undertake high risk banking. They get it from their customers and shareholders.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nexus 6 vs Sony Xperia Z3 comparison: Lollipop phablet takes on KitKat flagship smartphone

IDG UK Sites

Why people aren't upgrading to iOS 8: new features are for power users, not the average Joe

IDG UK Sites

Free rocket & space sounds: NASA launches archive of interstellar audio on SoundCloud

IDG UK Sites

iPad Air 2 review: Insanely fast and alarmingly thin. Speed tests, camera tests, beautiful...