We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

People of the world,rise up!

Forum Editor
Resolved

Likes # 0

"On October 15th, we will meet on the streets to initiate the global change we want. We will peacefully demonstrate, talk and organize until we make it happen."

Can anyone tell me how these people are going to 'make it happen', and what 'it' is?

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Rick'scafe - I not sure that you understood the bank bailouts. Many 'common' people had their savings in banks like RBS. These banks were likely to fail and take the savings with them. The Government stepped in and took over and owns about 83% of RBS for example. It didn't take your money and give it to the bankers in person. How the banks got into that mess in another story. It was down to greed on the part of the bankers and of those who borrowed from them. Unfortunately this greed hasn't gone away. Now if you were to argue that bankers' bonuses were to be restrained then I would tend to agree with you.

I don't think that anyone with any degree of sense desires wars.

Like this post
zzzz999

Likes # 0

FE you do not seriously believe those who run countries are elected; that's just the performing monkeys we get to see. And, you do not seriously believe that those performing monkeys are elected by the unknowledgabe populace, what percentage of the population now vote? What percentage of those who voted did so how they are told to by the 'SUN wot won it'.

The current system stinks from root to branch.

Morddwyd, neither is the ability to point at Afghanistan on the map relevant to the right to protest at this stinking puss of the ruling elite.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Rick'scafe

"The current system stinks from root to branch."

And your carefully considered alternative would be?

Like this post
zzzz999

Likes # 0

woolwell, I accept the banking system had to be rescued (first law of capitalism ignored); I don't accept we then choose the poorest in society to pay for that rescue. Within hours of coming to power how many billions of corporation and income tax did this coalition Government waive from a certain phone company and high net worth tax avoiders hiding their assets in Switzerland - about £18 billion if memory serves me correctly

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Morddwyd - "None of those were protests against financial equality" - Oh really?.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

"neither is the ability to point at Afghanistan on the map relevant to the right to protest"

And there you prove, or disprove, the argument about a knowledgeable populace.

War is profit, and Afghanistan is where those against whom the protests are being made are making theirs.

Britain, the US and France have the biggest arms industries in the world and their economies depend on the arms trade, and while arms exports are still dirty words in Germany you can bet that Krupps, Siemens and Thyssen and the like, who made millions from from the Third Reich, and ended the war without two brick standing on top of each other, are heavily involved in the infrastructure in Afghanistan.

Wake up and smell the coffee!

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

With regards to banking, we seem to have forgotten about the queues outside Northern Rock branches, and some of the unsavoury remarks made about the people trying to withdraw their own cash from those branches and company.

At that time I had a financial deal with that company, and it didn't take all that long for the powers in being to decide to split the company into profitable and non-profitable divisions.

Then we heard about all those greedy people who have tried to safeguard their pensions, and possible few remaining years, and have put further strains on the government coffers!.

We also keep hearing about the 'peoples elected' governments, whether they are national or local. I think the turnout figures are a touch of wisdom in themselves, and perhaps points to a very demoralised public we are. Perhaps we should have a compulsory system for voting, and no doubt there would then be rumours of bought votes or favours returned?.

Perhaps a typical example of true democracy is my local council and its members. There are promises made (usually at election time or when support is needed), then broken when the time is right. Councillor's have moved parties or gone as independent's because there were chastised for not toeing the party line, usually from Westminster.

In a nutshell, people will complain and form reaction groups, but when anyone seems to do that, there is always someone else who is perhaps financially far better off, who wants to keep the peasants at bay, by whatever means.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Rick'scafe "the poorest in society to pay for that rescue". The poorest in society don't pay income tax or they shouldn't and possibly receive from the other tax payers. So the poorest didn't pay. The hardest hit may well have been the so called middle class.

Like this post
zzzz999

Likes # 0

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2010/oct/22/vodafone-tax-case-leaves-sour-taste

Fourm you are correct, it was not £18 billion, it effectively could have been £40 billion between vodafone and swiss tax avoiders

Like this post
zzzz999

Likes # 0

woowell, see when you take money from the poorest in society whether its a payment you make them give you are its a reduction in what they need you are takling from them. Applying tax increases via VAT targets the poor. The middle classes have done rather well actually, the current low rates of interest rates are saving them several hundred pounds a year. Those who have suffered along with the poor are the elderly who rely on investment/interest income.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 10 release date, price, features. The next version of Windows will run on everything:....

IDG UK Sites

An Apple fan's perspective on the Windows 10 launch

IDG UK Sites

Sensor-laden kids' watch with 3G launches in Japan

IDG UK Sites

2014 Retina iMac release date rumours, specs and features: 27in 5K Retina iMac 'launching this mont'......