We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Identification Longshot/Talking Point 540

Brumas

Likes # 0

Good Evening All. Methinks tis time for another GENUINE UNIDENTIFIED POSTCARD. As usual the postcard reveals no clues as it is unposted and has just a bog-standard divided back, no publisher or anything else to go on. click here

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

The central 'road' could be an aqueduct/viaduct spanning a river. Might be in Wales?

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Agree that the church in the foreground could be Methodist as it has yypical architecture for around 1900.

Is that a river in flood?

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

typical not yypical - attack of the yyps!

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

"attack of the yyps!"

I've just binned my wireless logitech keyboard for that reason, I spilt ginger beer on it over the weekend and all sorts of strange characters have been getting on screen!

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

If, it is a 'bird's eye' view of a newly built aqueduct over a river, as I suggested, then the barrenness of the land on the LHS, could be explained by works traffic in the building of the aqueduct.The populated area on the RHS would be left untouched by the years of construction.I still haven't got a Scooby of the location.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

It's an unmetalled road. There are telegraph poles in it on the left side, it undulates in 3 places going up the hill, the houses are built right upto the edge of it and canals don't go up hills without a lock rise.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

...and there's no tow path.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

I will have a guess at Calstock Viaduct, Cornwall...constructed in the 1900's.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

AitchBEE - Calstock Viaduct is a rail bridge and looks nothing like this. Calstock is also a small village.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

AitchBEE - this is definitely a road. There is a reasonable size town as indicated by the 2 large churches on the skyline and the fairly large, probably Methodist, church in the foreground. Churches of that type typically sat around 200. Personally I think that this is northern England but may be wrong.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Apple's 2014 highlights: the most significant Apple news of 2014

IDG UK Sites

Watch this heartwarming Christmas short by Trunk for composer John Rutter

IDG UK Sites

Ultimate iOS 8 Tips: 35 awesome and advanced tips for using iOS 8 on iPhone and iPad