We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Identification Longshot/Talking Point 540

Brumas

Likes # 0

Good Evening All. Methinks tis time for another GENUINE UNIDENTIFIED POSTCARD. As usual the postcard reveals no clues as it is unposted and has just a bog-standard divided back, no publisher or anything else to go on. click here

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

It looks a bit like a bridge. There seems to be a gap between the houses/buildings in the foreground and those farther back. But it doesn't look like a river. Wonder if it is a mining area?

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Looks like view of part of a Chalk/Gravel mining town, that would explain the 'white' roads and the excavations.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

The main road looks 'stepped', in three distinct sections. I get the impression also, that mining is involved, as the 'road' heads 'smack dab' towards the viewer, to a tree-topped mountain, from where, the photo was taken, presumably.Has anybody else noticed the 'face' looking to the right, on the LHS of the road, near the bottom of the photo?

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

Like lotvic, looks like gravel extraction.

Left of centre there is a building sloping down with what may be a loading conveyor coming out to its left.

However, no sign of any engine houses, power supplies or tram/railways.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

...the face has gone...might have been a smudge on my monitor!

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

This is a real puzzler. The road is completely empty of movement. The terrain to the left of the bridge is very strange so close to a large church. Is this the result of flooding?

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

I think it's a Doctor Who set circa Tom baker era, but I can't see any Cybermen, so maybe it's an Ice Warrior set?

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

..the left side looks a bit Martian-esque.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

The whiteness might suggest clay workings in Cornwall. This would also account for the lack of tramways (the sludge collects in lagoons), but I think that;s a bit of a longshot.

I know the general area of the clay pits near St Austell, and this is not quite right

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

"The whiteness might suggest clay workings in Cornwall."

There you are then, it's a Dr who set, dead cert!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Very best Black Friday 2014 tech deals UK: Latest bargains on phones, tablets, laptops and more...

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday feeding frenzy infects the UK

IDG UK Sites

VAT MOSS: Will I be affected by the EU VAT changes? Here are the facts for designers and artists

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 UK: Apple deals, Amazon deals & Black Friday tech offers