We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Are Gibson guitars killing the rainforest?

peter99co

Likes # 0

BBC NEWS ITEM

Iconic US guitar maker Gibson is facing a criminal probe over claims it broke environmental laws while importing wood. So is music the next threat to the world's forests?

"The wood that goes into guitars is crucial to the tone of the instrument," says Laurence Juber, an acoustic guitarist who lined up with Sir Paul McCartney in Wings.

"I can show you the difference in sound between Indian rosewood and Brazilian rosewood and ebony and maple."

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

My bass has a rosewood fretboard, what's even worse is that it's 34" long... should I go into hiding?

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

QB - you are over-fretting. The steel strings on my guitar were probably made from iron-ore mined in Zimbabwe. 'My guitar gently weeps.'

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

My strings are made from recycled Irn-Bru...

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

Good man!

Like this post
Covergirl

Likes # 0

Hardly likely to make a dent considering the millions of acres lost to deforestation courtesy of the indigenous population wanting to make a living out of farming. Or cultivation of cocaine or something else more profitable LoL

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

What's Bono's opinion on this? He one one on everything else.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

Quickbeam

Surely it's Sting they need to talk to, after all he plays bass and loves the rain forests

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

There is a serious issue here regarding rain forests and deforestation. These woods are banned from import for a good reason. Guitar makers need to move towards getting wood from sustainable sources. Reading the article it seems that some of it may have come from India and may have come from sustainable sources but was wrongly coded. However if we keep on felling in the wrong areas the wood will not be there in future years and it causes other problems too.

Like this post
Kevscar1

Likes # 0

I suppose it would depend on what music is being played on them. I'm sure Rock and Roll wouldn't harm the trees

Like this post
Covergirl

Likes # 0

. . . now which is better - Sting or Bono . . . . FIGHT !! LoL

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8.4 review: The best iPad mini and Nexus 7 rival tablet around

IDG UK Sites

Which Mac? Complete Apple Mac buyers guide for 2014

IDG UK Sites

Mobile email is powerful and useful - but also hopelessly intrusive

IDG UK Sites

Samsung lights up London skyline with Midnight Rainbow