We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

It's difficult to understand

Forum Editor
Resolved

Likes # 0

how Edinburgh's disaster of a tram project could ever have been entrusted to people who - in the words of one of the councillors who oversaw the project - "were not people who had previously had experience of major projects like this".

The scheme is years behind schedule, and The latest cost estimate for running the line from the airport to St Andrew Square in the city centre is £776m, which is far more than was originally projected for the entire network.

more on the story here

Like this post
bob.

Likes # 0

The Edinburgh tram scheme pales into insignificance against the selection of the £20billion, yes thats £20,000,000,000.00 failed computer fiasco for the NHS. At least Edinburgh will have some thing to show for the money spent, in the end.

enter link description here

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

This is a mere tip of the iceberg, because if you delve deep enough, you will find the very same happening elsewhere, and perhaps more so were public funding is involved.

Is there a case for 'protected' whistle-blowers, when a project is being mis-managed, sure there is, because all to often there are certain people in society who regard themselves as 'experts' yet have very little experience when it comes down to decision making or resolving problems, especially on something that they are not qualified or trained to do. Hence the "We must form a group of meetings about this" (someone might have an answer?). Or alternatively they could always offer a resignation (with conditions), which seems the honourable thing to do, if all goes wrong!.

My local council are often stumbling over themselves, with projects that 'the people want' yet cannot afford or didn't really want in the first place. I have taken our council to task on a number of occasions, and its no easy feat to obtain 'correct' information or even getting a council officer or councillor to agree with you. Especially if party politics is involved. They always seem to know far better, or at least that is what they seem to think?.

As an example, we had a major road safety project in our area, and on the opening day (all the invited dignitaries were there), it was clearly stated what a fantastic scheme this was, because it "had been completed on time and within budget". The scheme was good, but it was neither finished in time, or on budget. There are still a number of outstanding items that have not been completed, and 'the whisper' from the council is that they had ran out of money, but they would look at the project later, if and when funds became available. There have been other projects that have started with a strict budget, then on near completion the budget has exceeded 3 or 4 fold, mainly due to 'high rising costs'.

Perhaps one (but there's many more, if you look) typical example is the Dome, and what that cost, and what is was sold for, and to whom?.

As I said earlier, Edinburgh is merely a tip of the iceberg?.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

"Useful to whom?"

As with so much else dear to the hearts of Edinburgh councillors, useful to the Hogmanay party goers, those attending the Tattoo, the Festival, the Fringe.

Council Tax Payers? Don't be silly.

Like this post
gengiscant

Likes # 0

morddwyd

useful to the Hogmanay party goers, those attending the Tattoo, the Festival, the Fringe.

I think you will find it will be of little benefit to any of these groups, and as for fourm member's Tram enthusiasts, if I did not know better I would think he was attempting humour. How many tram enthusiasts would you need to see in Edinburgh annually to make the whole thing profitable? Are there that many tram enthusiasts in the world?

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

I swore never to visit Central Edinburgh again after an incident with a Blue Meanie.

If the Cost of Day Parking, at the Airport, can be made acceptable, I shall be very pleased to start visiting that lovely City, once again.

Like this post
zzzz999

Likes # 0

The Scottish Parliament is a wonderful building and at a cost of just over £400 million pales into insignificance when compared with The Treasury Building whitehall mandarins had created for themselves, the bottomless pit of the Millennium Dome and of course Wembley Stadium which helped itself to pocket loads of tax payers cash.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

I dread to think what our lot would do with a major project like Edinburgh's tram project, they can't even get the paving styles to match round here.

We've ended up with a mish mash of styles in town centre, seems as each new lot come in they 're-design' streets in a different style. Looks like a patchwork quilt. The street where market stalls are is done in red and yellow brick the 15foot wide passage way that connects to parrellel street is concrete 3x2 flags. Parrellel street in grey cobblestones with granite kerbs, oh sorry was cobblestones - they only lasted 2 years before being ripped up and replaced with tarmac, but kept the cobbled parking bays and granite. That then leads to the shopping precinct that has dark red brick...

Meanwhile the expensive Yorkshire stone flags near entertainment centre got taken up, they lasted 2 or 3 years before being replaced with something entirely different. We've got fancy oldie world lamposts, and metal/concrete ones dotted about nilly willy. All that has been done over the last 10 years. It all matched before with tarmac roads, flagged pavements, concrete kerbs with rounded edge (unlike the horrid sharp edge on the grey granite ones)

Seating varies between concrete slab modern and ornate ironwork with wood slats.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

lotvic - I can't understand why 2 identical close fronts have been resurfaced in two different finishes. 401 is granite grey. and 403 is terracotta tiles. The uniformity has 'gone for a burton'.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

...the verandahs are a different issue. I stay just 'along the road' from these dwellings.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Hmmm, Not just round here then that the 'patchwork quilt' look is popular with the council street planning

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Gear 2 review: Classy Tizen smartwatch is too expensive

IDG UK Sites

Eight possible names for the next version of Mac OS X: What will Apple call the follow-up to Maveri?......

IDG UK Sites

Why our gadgets will kill us all: bleating notifications, too many chargers and the proliferation...

IDG UK Sites

Inside Twitter's new design and ad offerings