We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Another thing about batteries

Covergirl
Resolved

Likes # 0

Rechargeables always seem to come partially charged.

As I understand it, in order to get the best performance and life out of a rechargeable battery, they should be fully charged then fully discharged for a couple of cycles, then discharged occasionally if not discharged during normal usage.

So receiving the battery partially charged and giving it a full charge would theoretically reduce the life of the battery as it would need discharged before its first full charge? But one has to follow the instructions.

Am I being a bit pedantic here?

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

my samsung only charges up to 80% not 100% to increase life of battery.

no idea of the logic behind it. Perhaps someone can explain to us.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

I regularly check the voltages of all my rechargable batteries before and after charging, using a simple voltmemeter. It gives an accurate reading of the voltage in the battery...and is also shows if you have got a 'dud' one.

Like this post
proudfoot

Likes # 0

Aichbee testing a battery off load is pointless. A battery needs to be On Load to get an idea of the voltage as there is a volt drop within the battery. On Load voltage will always be less than Off Load. The theroretical representation of a battery is a DC generator with a resistor in series beween the terminals.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

romanby1 - if I check, say 100 batteries, off load, I can very soon eliminate the 'duds'.If the actual voltage readings, off load,are below what they should be, I charge them up.Invariably, after an overnight charge, the voltage readings are higher, ie..they are 'charged up'. What could be simpler?

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

I believe the old NiCads needed cycling to prevent them developing a memory. I don't think the same applies to Lithium-ion etc.

Like this post  
namtas

Likes # 0

AitchBEE

A battery measured off load can give a voltage that appears to suggest that it is OK but this is a meaningless test, it can still be dud in terms of output. That is why a resistance tester must be used when testing vehicle batteries.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

"What could be simpler?"

Following the laws of physics, which is what romanby1 was doing, rather than your own inaccurate reasoning.

An off-load voltage test is useless.

I currently have a set of batteries which after an overnight charge will show in excess of 12v.

Put them in a mobility scooter and it won;t even go ten metres, and the voltage is down to 5 -7.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

OK - respected forum members. You have convinced me! On a similar note; can my simple ammeter/voltmeter be used to check the output current and output voltage from a charger, off load, to see if it matches the actual information on the charger?

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Not really - a battery will draw high current from the charger when flat. As it charges, the current drawn will reduce (all due to back EMF, if memory serves me right after about 50 yrs).

Like this post
TopCat®

Likes # 0

Here can be found some good stuff about all things battery plus a bit more. I found it very informative and useful indeed. Hope you do too. TC.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 release date, price and specs 2014

IDG UK Sites

What's the best smartwatch? 11 iWatch rivals compared in our wearables round-up

IDG UK Sites

App cloning: the mobile software industry’s hidden shame

IDG UK Sites

Developers get access to more Sony camera features