We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Another thing about batteries

Covergirl
Resolved

Likes # 0

Rechargeables always seem to come partially charged.

As I understand it, in order to get the best performance and life out of a rechargeable battery, they should be fully charged then fully discharged for a couple of cycles, then discharged occasionally if not discharged during normal usage.

So receiving the battery partially charged and giving it a full charge would theoretically reduce the life of the battery as it would need discharged before its first full charge? But one has to follow the instructions.

Am I being a bit pedantic here?

Like this post
Crosstrainer2

Likes # 0

Many of the issues raised here are the reason that companies are now moving from Lithium Ion technology to Lithium Polymer. iPads. iPhone and the new laptops are all using them now.

It's a complex issue, but basically, the new LP batteries do not have them same cycling memory that the old ones do.

You may have a perfectly good LithiumIon cell, but your battery meter on the device you are using has lost it's calibration and is mis-reporting the actually charge.

There are way's to re-calibrate these meters so that the battery continues to charge....BUT. Most manufacturers won't divulge this information because they want to sell you a new battery or phone.

Apple are so confident in the Lithium Polymer technology that they happily publish a great deal of information on performance longevity and care.

Although they don't quote an actual figure for the number of cycles a cell can achieve, it is :"Many MAny" to quote their site.

AN iPad that suffers battery failure within 2 years of purchase is replaced.....Not the battery )it's not economic) the whole device.

I expect to see a move towards this technology gathering pace in the next few years.

Like this post
proudfoot

Likes # 0

Every item we have that runs off standard batteries has Metal Halide batteries installed. This includes my wireless keyboard and mouse. We have a number of spares that can be popped in to the item when the battery becomes discharged and the ones removed put on charge. One point about this type of battery is the larger capacity available for items with high current drain. We have one set rated at 2000mAh.

Like this post
Chegs ®™

Likes # 0

I have an old lead acid battery from a previous car.I can shove a meter on it & it will say its got 12V available,but it won't even illuminate a bulb for more than a few seconds let alone provide hundreds of amps to start a car.

Covergirl

Rechargeables always seem to come partially charged.

This will be due to the battery not being purchased straight from a charging source.I have a laptop that is permanently within reach of mains supply,so its battery is removed and only gets charged perhaps twice a year.My mouse uses batteries and I decided to buy several sets so that when its batteries discharged,I could simply bung in another set which I'd previously charged.It was a waste of money as the set I'd charged & then put in a drawer invariably also expired within a few minutes of usage.I now have a pack of non-rechargables (24 for a couple of quid) that last far longer than a recharged battery,and retain more residual charge for longer periods(I bought the blister pack of non-rechargables about 3yrs ago and have only used 3 sets of 2)

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 launch event live: Windows 9 launch live blog - find out first as the new Windows is...

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 and the death of the OS as a must-have product

IDG UK Sites

Video trends: 4K is here – HDR video, VR and 3D audio is coming

IDG UK Sites

Best iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus deals: iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus tariffs, contracts and prices UK