We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Highest Unemployment for 18 years

buteman
Resolved

Likes # 0

Heard on the News today that unemployment is at its highest level for 18 years.

If I remember right the Tory's were in government at the time just wondered if this is History repeating itself again.

Now what really gets me is it is only the tip of the iceberg and we can expect another One or Two Million to join the Dole queue's in the not to distant future.

I always try to look on the bright side but all I can see is doom and gloom at the moment.

For those of us that have seen this happening before I am sure we don't want to see it again.

Industry has deserted us at an alarming rate no longer can we go into clothes sops shoe shops electrical shops and all of the rest of the shops and find one the best signs on everything. Made in the UK.

We Exported most of our goods then but now we Import more than we make.

And just think of all the jobs that have been lost because of it.

It is a long time and will be an even longer time since the then Prime Minister said We have never had it So good. [Harold MacMillan]

I wonder if any other prime minister will ever be able to say the same thing.

Like this post
Condom

Likes # 0

I took a very concious decision many years ago to stop paying the rip off prices for clothes in the UK. In those days many items were still made in the UK for stores like M&S but when they brought in very cheap goods from abroad to replace UK made clothes prices were not lowered. I first noticed that clothes in the USA were so much cheaper and then latterly that they were extremely cheap in the far east. Clothes which you can buy for say £5 in the far east are well over £30 here yet they are still making a profit in the far east from £5. I calculated how much I spent on clothes each year and how much I could save by buying overseas and soon discovered that not only would I save lots of money by doing so but I was also getting a great holiday out of it. It was really no contest. It is not just clothes as you can buy HP sauce cheaper in Tesco Lotus in Thailand than it is in Tesco UK so work that one out and that is just one example. The bank rate is 0.5% yet you will struggle to get a credit card charging less than circa 16%. Many places are no longer accepting Credit Card payments as the bank charges for doing so are so high. It looks as if Debit cards might go the same way unless the Government does something to stop it. My bank charges me £5 a go for using an overseas ATM to get my own money out and still gives a lousy exchange rate yet still gives me 0.1% interest on my account.

Well I guess I just felt like a good old fashioned moan.

Like this post
userious?

Likes # 0

" I'll say it again - no bank can lend money to people who don't want to borrow." What a pompus attitude. If a bank is going to lend money, I would have thought it common sense to make sure the borrower has the means to repay it. A fool and his money are soon parted, the fool being the banks.

Like this post
Admiral Allstar

Likes # 0

"Admiral Allstar Forgive me for having the temerity to disagree with you, "

Whats to forgive - this is a discussion, you have your views and i have mine.

"but people were only ABLE to borrow and spend more than they should have because the banks saw them as easy targets to sell them 'services'. Yes, some people overdid it and got into trouble - but the banks were driving things in that direction (with 150% LTV mortgages, and cashbacks etc)."

Just because a bank (or anyone for that matter) will offer you something doesnt mean you should take it. And certainly not without thinknig through all the consequences first.

"I also object to the wholesale classification you use about 'we all' - I, personally, never took out any loans and never, ever used credit to buy anything. I'm sure there are many others like me and so the use of 'we all caused it', is objectionable, as well as being lies."

Ok, if not 'we all' then a considerable number of poeple in this country and others. I think your use of "lies" is a bit strong and (without wishing to inflame) taking this discussion a bit too personal.

"Yet, we, the 'innocent ones' (presumably) will still be paying for all those other miscreants with our taxes - yes, we really are 'all in it together'!"

That assumes these other "miscreants" wont be paying taxes either does it?

“Prime Ministers question time today and a MP asked the question why were none of the Bankers ever charged for loosing so much.” Please tell what crime these bankers should be charged with??

“Rogue bankers are charged and sent to prison but others can do it legitimately and get away with it.” They are not ‘Rogue Bankers’ it humanises them when they should be called fraudsters or criminals (if found guilty of a crime). As for the others, I think your use of the word legitimately highlights why they are not charged. “When he asked the PM the question he never once mentioned my name or anyone else's name so I take it we should not be getting a knock on the door anytime soon from the boys in Blue. I will sleep a bit better tonight knowing that they know who the real culprits are and its not me or you.” Nothing like a popular scapegoat to absolve others of their consequences. By that I mean everyone wishes to blame the banks, government etc etc for their predicament without accepting that they themselves have a hand in their situation. No I am not absolving anyone of anything nor condemning one particular part of society I simply state that people should take some of (or in other cases most of) the responsibility for their actions. Is that so wrong?

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

buteman, you said - 'Industry has deserted us at an alarming rate no longer can we go into clothes shops, shoe shops, electrical shops and all of the rest of the shops and find one the best signs on everything. Made in the UK.

I agree. I bought a pair of shoes, half price, at 30 pounds, made in Vietnam, and they were worn out at the heels after 3 months wear.What a shocker.

Like this post
Chegs ®™

Likes # 0

I too do not agree with being told that I was party to the financial collapse of the banks,as I don't have a bank account,do not loan money as I work part-time & would not like to add to my financial struggles each week.I did try to get a credit card years ago,but the banks decided I was a poor risk & refused to issue me one so I have to save for major purchases,and no matter how hard I try saving for luxury items,before I can go & buy it another bill arrives requiring urgent payment and off I go again starting to save.I'm used to this constant juggling of cash as I have lived this way for many years,but dream of being able to simply go out & buy an item as I won the lottery(without a ticket I might add)It irks me when people who are comfortable financially then try & blame me for the dire situation the economy is in(even though only a tiny part of the blame)or say that because some people are benefit scroungers,I must be too.Thats like saying because there are some criminals in a country,everyone in that country is a criminal.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

AitchBEE

You should have gone to Aldi's Ho Ho

Bought a pair of Hush Puppies from Amazon which were what I wanted till I went to take the paper sticker off the bottom of them and there it was.Made in India.

If it was not India it was another foreign country as I don't have the sticker anymore I am not 100% sure.

Same with Marks & Spencers try buying a jumper out of there that is made in this Country.

Like this post
hssutton

Likes # 0

Condom

I took a very concious decision many years ago to stop paying the rip off prices for clothes in the UK. In those days many items were still made in the UK for stores like M&S but when they brought in very cheap goods from abroad to replace UK made clothes prices were not lowered

Yes I worked in the clothing industry until it collapsed due to the excessive wage demands by the workers, even though they where on very good wages. They wanted more and more money, even refusing to buy heavily discounted goods in the staff shop because they could buy cheaper clothing produced in the Middle East.

Eventually we all lost our jobs. Actually the same happened to the car industry and the steel works.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

I suspect folks in America are having a bad time of it, as well,with job losses, and foreign , cheap imports on their shop shelves.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

We are in this together,I don't think so,

The trouble is that normal families will have struggle a bit to keep their heads above the water but the Bankers that have caused all the problems will not have to do the same.

If you buy anything it does not matter what it is if it breaks down you can either have it replaced or repaired.

So if the Banks squandered or lost consumer credit or whatever then it should be the banks paying it back and not the Likes of us or the government.

So what will happen when eventually the banks pay the government back for baling them out.

Does the Government get that money or as we will all have to pay for it.Should it be shared out between everyone.Should we all get a share back.

I doubt it.

Like this post
badgery

Likes # 0

Admiral Allstar

If you were a young couple desperately wanting a home and successive governments had said home ownership is the way to go, and then a 'respectable' bank tells you they will lend you more than you actually need (and don't worry about having to provide proof of income) so that your dream home becomes a reality - then you would need to be a saint to be able to refuse that offer.

Selling things that people cannot afford has been an 'industry' since time immemorial - cars, double glazing, and now solar panels perhaps. Bank loans are right up there with the best (and worst)!

However, you also seem to be under the impression that the recession is caused by 'everyday people' taking out mortgages and credit loans. That is what the government WANTS you to believe - nothing is further from the truth.

We should not 'whine' (it seems) about who is to blame - but they can blame US repeatedly, and we accept it. Sheep spring to mind.

ps My saying that the statement "We all caused it" was a lie is factually correct and in no way a personal slight, or inflammatory.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Android L vs iOS 8 comparison preview: Apple vs Google software showdown

IDG UK Sites

Apple MacBook Air (11-inch, 256GB, Early 2014) lab tests and benchmarks

IDG UK Sites

Why Google bought Songza. Scratch that: what is Songza?

IDG UK Sites

Google to ship first Project Ara developer boards in July