We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Highest Unemployment for 18 years

buteman
Resolved

Likes # 0

Heard on the News today that unemployment is at its highest level for 18 years.

If I remember right the Tory's were in government at the time just wondered if this is History repeating itself again.

Now what really gets me is it is only the tip of the iceberg and we can expect another One or Two Million to join the Dole queue's in the not to distant future.

I always try to look on the bright side but all I can see is doom and gloom at the moment.

For those of us that have seen this happening before I am sure we don't want to see it again.

Industry has deserted us at an alarming rate no longer can we go into clothes sops shoe shops electrical shops and all of the rest of the shops and find one the best signs on everything. Made in the UK.

We Exported most of our goods then but now we Import more than we make.

And just think of all the jobs that have been lost because of it.

It is a long time and will be an even longer time since the then Prime Minister said We have never had it So good. [Harold MacMillan]

I wonder if any other prime minister will ever be able to say the same thing.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

buteman

"I know he hates threads like this"

No I don't, what made you think that? I hate it when discussions degenerate into personal sniping matches, and some time ago I made a personal resolution to stamp that kind of thing out if I could, but I certainly don't hate vigorous discussions like this.

Important subjects deserve as much discussion as possible - we're all affected by what happens in the economy, and we're all entitles to express our opinions.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

My local newspaper been running a few articles this week about unemployment, and it still surprises me how some graduates seem to think that there should be a job waiting for them after graduation. Yet few seemed to realise that employers were no longer seeking trainees, but people able to earn the company money from the very beginning.

One particular person was stating how they had applied for over 100 jobs, which led to failures of response or outright rejections, and they couldn't really understand why. I think the subject that they had been studying was something to do with Social Sciences. Another graduate was saying how they had refused offers of jobs "because they thought that they were far to qualified, for the jobs being offered".

So on the basis of those two examples, who is to blame, the person who refuses to accept any job or a person who perhaps studied the wrong subject?.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

spuds

Going back many years when my daughter went to college for a few years after leaving school to learn secretarial skills including shorthand.

I think it was a 2 year course and when she left with all her skills including shorthand she could not get a job because she had no work experience.

She did eventually find work but makes you think maybe she would have been better going straight into work when she left school and learned from there.

My grand daughter has always worked since she was 14 yrs old.Nothing fancy Chip shop first.Then town center shops.Factory's wherever there was work she was there and still had to finish school and go to college at the same time.

Now at liverpool University and has just let us know that she has got a job at the local £1 shop,Not a great job by any means but still work which helps her finance her stay at University and she is delighted.

One of the large companys that she has worked for has offered her a place at there Northampton branch for her gap year next year with the prospects of starting her full time when she leaves University.

I suppose there are millions like her out there but sometimes we don't give the young people the credit that they deserve.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Forum Editor

I know he hates threads like this"

I did not of course mean that you did not like to participate just that sometimes it could lead to arguments between posters which you did not like.

I still think it was the Bankers Fault.You don't and everyone is entitled to their own views and it is good to hear different views without the silly arguments that we used to get on some threads.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

buteman

I quite agree with you about not giving some young people the credit that they possibly deserve, and I am sure that there are many young people who have a similar attitude about life as your grand daughter. But of cause there will always be the exceptions, like the two I mentioned. One wants work (I believe they were working at McDonalds part-time) and the other refuses work, because they deem themselves over qualified (in paper form!), yet have perhaps never had any real full day/week work experience. I remember one of the Apprentice programs, when Lord Sugar told one young applicant that they had learned nothing yet, when that young applicant was boasting about their experiences, and how the world would be a poorer place without them?.

Then there are the graduates of the benefit system (young and old), who think a chat on the mobile phone to their mates, using a Playstation or XBox all day and night, and doing 'as they please' is actually work in itself. In those cases, the welfare system as been to much of a cushion and training curve for new experiences?.

And personally I have no answers to that, and I would suggest no one else does either, unless some radical reform is perhaps introduced, either by forced methods or the person deciding to help themselves, as in the case of your grand daughter. And in all honesty I wish her well in whatever good fortunes follow her.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

I was reading the other day about the resurrection of the Jarrow March, and how that got off to a good start,with the expectations of increases on the route to London, but as since dwindled down to a very few, 'because of the hardships, and having to return home to sign-on'.

Now there's determination for you, for people and a country on the verge of a massive recession?.

But I do agree that there appears to still be a great number of people who are defending the likes of bankers on past and now present performances etc, but in my opinion this is from the majority of wealth holders who are always preaching about the going rate or no such thing as 'rip-off Britain'?.

Like this post
badgery

Likes # 0

fourm member "Maybe I'll just shut up on get on with doing what I can about my own situation "

That could be music to the ears of many people on here!

So, according to your mindset, it is better that we all just stay silent and never discuss what and why something went wrong and who was at fault?

As my granny used to say "Nothing like a good old moan to get the toilet clean"

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

fourm member

You are very correct in what you have stated, and perhaps more so on "Maybe I'll just shut up on get on with doing what I can about my own situation because it seems moaning about whose fault it is doesn't make any difference".

I think a lot of people have perhaps already realised that, because the government and do-gooders are not going to help you, me and anyone else who wants to survive another day, using our own provided means. I think in my working life, I paid my dues to society and possibly more, and now in retirement I would seek some possible returns. But all to often I find the systems do not work in my and possible other people of similar natures favour?.

One thing that does annoy me so, is the constant remarks that it was the customers greed, who wanted loans and mortgages that brought the world to its knees, and not the bankers or money shifters who in the UK and elsewhere were innocent of pressing their wears, without supervision or relevant checks, for the sake of bonus payments. And dare I say its still going on today?.

Alistair Darling made a remark on how the UK major bankers turned up for that all important vital meeting when it became evident of a UK and World financial collapse, and how they (the bankers) 'demanded' various things. Reality was soon brought to the table when he informed them (the bankers), they had 'nothing available' to make demands with. Oh I seemed to have forgotten that Sir Fred the Shred as possibly suggested that he was never a banker, and none of this was any of his fault?.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

I have never envied any one who has worked hard to make a good living for themselves or even those that are born with a silver spoon in their mouths, but all the riches in the world don't bring happiness or health.

I have never had much wealth but as long as we have health we are richer than those that have money but don't.

I emptied one account that I had in the bank because what interest you got on it was not worth having and if I was not going to get anything neither were they.

I left my direct debit account which comes in useful as they don't charge for it but I think that may change shortly.

I used to get fed up with the Bank calling me or sending letters to see if I wanted to take out loans for modernising my house my house.I used to say that I would love a loan but how would I be able to pay it back.

I told them to stop phoning me again and they have.

And nothing to do with this but why does modernising keep coming up as a spelling mistake.Is it wrong.

Like this post
badgery

Likes # 0

fourm member "but don't let that result in not acting now to make one's own position healthier"

I can assure you that I have done everything I can to help me and my family through this recession, but many others cannot make such provision and must accept what happens.When you are 'at the bottom' there's not much choice in organising a healthier position.

As I said previously, the average person who is 'in it' at present does not have any way of 'putting it right' as you say, they are at the mercy of politicians and financiers - and the only option they have is where they place their 'cross' every five years - and even then politicians have been known to lie and renege on clear promises made befor elections!

What else but discuss blame and have a moan? Take to the streets perhaps?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

LG G Watch release date, price and specs: Hands-on and pictures

IDG UK Sites

How to improve iPhone battery life, what to do if your iPhone battery is running low

IDG UK Sites

Twitter - not news

IDG UK Sites

Fun film festival trailer plays with classic movie scenes