We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Highest Unemployment for 18 years

buteman
Resolved

Likes # 0

Heard on the News today that unemployment is at its highest level for 18 years.

If I remember right the Tory's were in government at the time just wondered if this is History repeating itself again.

Now what really gets me is it is only the tip of the iceberg and we can expect another One or Two Million to join the Dole queue's in the not to distant future.

I always try to look on the bright side but all I can see is doom and gloom at the moment.

For those of us that have seen this happening before I am sure we don't want to see it again.

Industry has deserted us at an alarming rate no longer can we go into clothes sops shoe shops electrical shops and all of the rest of the shops and find one the best signs on everything. Made in the UK.

We Exported most of our goods then but now we Import more than we make.

And just think of all the jobs that have been lost because of it.

It is a long time and will be an even longer time since the then Prime Minister said We have never had it So good. [Harold MacMillan]

I wonder if any other prime minister will ever be able to say the same thing.

Like this post
Admiral Allstar

Likes # 0

"If the 'average' person had ANY say in these matters then I might just agree with those statements - but , in reality, we just try to get through life as best we can, working, bringing up families, and paying our taxes."

And there was me thinking the Government was voted in (Yes I know its a hung parliamnet but they do represent - under teh voting system - more constituencies than the opposition).

I agree with FE we are all to blame. The banks are not the only culprit, neither is the Government. I didnt see anyone complaining about the economic situation when things were supposedly going well.

Also, if you dont like the price one shop charges then go elsewhere - it is called market forces and is the most basic example (more commonly known as shopping around). I think people have forgotten that even within the last 20-30 years people did used to save up for so called big ticket items and the shop had to work for its money. Now people want things without waiting for the cash in the bank and then blame the bank because it all goes tits up.

I think the following quote says it all...

"Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen six, result happiness. Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pound ought and six, result misery."

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Admiral Allstar

Why would you complain when things are going well.

Like this post
Armchair

Likes # 0

I'll have to go to confession. "Forgive me, Father, for I have sinned. These are my sins............I have wrecked the UK manufacturing industry. I have conspired with a trade union official to alienate management and shop floor workers. I have bought a Volkswagen Golf."

Yep, that should do it.

Like this post
badgery

Likes # 0

Admiral Allstar

Forgive me for having the temerity to disagree with you, but people were only ABLE to borrow and spend more than they should have because the banks saw them as easy targets to sell them 'services'.

Yes, some people overdid it and got into trouble - but the banks were driving things in that direction (with 150% LTV mortgages, and cashbacks etc).

I also object to the wholesale classification you use about 'we all' - I, personally, never took out any loans and never, ever used credit to buy anything. I'm sure there are many others like me and so the use of 'we all caused it', is objectionable, as well as being lies.

Yet, we, the 'innocent ones' (presumably) will still be paying for all those other miscreants with our taxes - yes, we really are 'all in it together'!

ps I never implied THIS government was at fault, the terminology I used was 'plural'.

Like this post
badgery

Likes # 0

buteman

Apologies, I didn't notice your reply on the previous page - we obviously think along the same lines!

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

How easy it is to sit back and make remarks such as "The major decisions about economics are made by the governments (and their bedfellows, the bankers) and the world is in the present mess because of THEM - not us"

That kind of remark demonstrates a singular lack of understanding of the causes of our present predicament. I've said it before, and at the risk of being thought a bore I'll say it again - no bank can lend money to people who don't want to borrow. No bank approaches people in the street and forces money into their pockets. Ordinary people decided to take the credit that was offered, and ordinary people defaulted on mortgage payments because they had borrowed far more than they could afford to repay.

Of course there was greed on the part of lenders, but money lenders don't create a debt crisis, money borrowers do that when they default on their loan repayments and credit card debt.

It simply won't do to say 'it wasn't me, it was him' when the subject of excessive personal borrowing crops up. There's no shortage of people saying 'all I did was try to lead a good life and live within my means - it's those horrible bankers who got us into this mess'. It's rubbish of course, because we all got ourselves where we are, and now that we have to pay the price we don't like it. We want someone else to carry the blame, but of course as long as that attitude prevails our rate of recovery will be slower than it need be.

Like this post
badgery

Likes # 0

FE "That kind of remark demonstrates a singular lack of understanding of the causes of our present predicament"

Of course.

Perhaps the average guy fully understands the rather complicated 'instruments' set up and used by the financial marketmen in order to make money. These are not the inventions of John Doe, and if you really think that financiers cannot 'persuade' punters to accept loans then you also demonstrate the "singular lack of understanding " of which you so disparagingly accuse me.

You also seem to imply that the present recession problems are simply due to 'the little people' taking out mortgages and credit loans. It better suits governments and bankers to pile the guilt on us all so that we'll reluctantly accept the taxation necessary to put things right, by thinking we all caused this world recession!

Strange that it's always the 'clever' people at the top who steer us into trouble, then abscond with their 'takings' (Fred the Shred et al), leaving the poor to pay the bill.

"..as long as that attitude prevails our rate of recovery will be slower than it need be."

How on earth can you justify saying our recovery will be slower because some people say that it is NOT all of us who caused this mess? Sorry, but that's just silly.

Like this post
bob.

Likes # 0

"..as long as that attitude prevails our rate of recovery will be slower than it need be."

I think you will find most people attitudes are to pay off what they can and bank everything else for a rainy day. Not to spend money unless it is absolutely necessary. There is to much uncertainty about the future and many need a cushion in case the worst happens.

It may be a negative attitude but it is one I find common among friends and family.

Like this post
badgery

Likes # 0

bob

Unfortunately, if we were all to 'dig in' and save and 'make-do' then we get no growth in the economy - so the odd thing is that we are told "debt is bad", yet at the same time the government would like us to spend so that we get growth! Crazy times.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Prime Ministers question time today and a MP asked the question why were none of the Bankers ever charged for loosing so much.

Rogue bankers are charged and sent to prison but others can do it legitimately and get away with it.

When he asked the PM the question he never once mentioned my name or anyone else's name so I take it we should not be getting a knock on the door anytime soon from the boys in Blue.

I will sleep a bit better tonight knowing that they know who the real culprits are and its not me or you.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 release date, price and specs 2014

IDG UK Sites

What's the best smartwatch? 11 iWatch rivals compared in our wearables round-up

IDG UK Sites

25 Years of the World Wide Web: Happy Birthday, Intenet

IDG UK Sites

Developers get access to more Sony camera features