We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Travel visa requirement for Sri Lanka soon

TopCat®
Resolved

Likes # 0

To be called an ETA - Electronic Travel Authorisation - this visa will be required from 1st of January 2012 and will be available online at a new website. Non-nationals will pay a processing fee of $50 (£32) for tourists, $60 for business travellers or $25 for transit passengers. Only those from Singapore or The Maldives will be exempt. Report here

I could be wrong on this, but I feel other popular destinations, especially those catering for tourists, will be watching this move with considerable interest. TC.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

USA has had ESTA's for past few years. They used to be free but now require a fee.

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

went some where once think it was in west indies tourists had to pay a tax to leave the island [might have been grenada].

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

As lotvic has said, America has the online ESTA system for quite a while - since 2008 in fact.

Like this post
TopCat®

Likes # 0

I first encountered a 'tourist tax' when leaving the airport at Cancun, Mexico, a few years ago now. It was for $30 USD per person and was said to be helping towards the cost of their new arrivals and departures building. Just checked online and see that the tax is still payable before departure and has risen to $48 USD.

Come to think of it, our Newquay Airport which is owned by the Cornwall Council, has for a few years now demanded a £5 'tax' per passenger. Ryan Air protested strongly at its introduction to no avail, so the airline eventually pulled out of Cornwall completely. TC.

Like this post
Condom

Likes # 0

Many countries around the world have airport taxes of differing types. The leaving taxes are the ones which often catch people out especially if you have spent all your local currency in the duty free.

The first time I went to Thailand I got clobbered for 500 baht (About £10) just as I was entering the passenger gate. They later moved it to paying at check in because of many complaints and recently scrapped it completely by adding it to the aircraft landing fee which was then probably added on to the fare.

Like this post  

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

The 13 most inspirational Tim Cook quotes