We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

So does prison really work?

Cymro.

Likes # 0

Link to BBC News site

Many times in the past have I posted on this forum criticising the legal system regarding sending criminals to prison. I believe that most criminals should not be sent to prison as to do so is just a waste of time and money. Most just re-offend on release anyway. Prison is called by some an "university of crime" and for the very good reason that all it teaches is how to avoid being caught on future criminal escapades.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Chegs ®™

You make it sound as if serial offenders like yourself shouldn't be punished. If you "spent the best part of 10yrs in and out of jail for motoring offences & accumalated fines for the same." I'm forced to say that you only have yourself to blame. If you hadn't repeatedly offended you wouldn't have been in jail.

I'm not suggesting we should have a 'lock 'em up and throw away the key' society, but I confess I do get a bit irritated when people who have repeatedly committed offences try to blame the system for their inability to do what the rest of us try to do - obey the law. The prison system certainly has its faults, but let's not lose sight of the fact that people go to prison because they commit criminal offences.

Like this post
Flak999

Likes # 0

Forum Editor

Well said!

Like this post
Chegs ®™

Likes # 0

I am not saying I did not deserve to be punished,what I am saying is that simply throwing offenders into jail and then once their sentence is completed,pretty well washing their hands of them is not the way to reduce repeat offending.I also did not say my jail sentences were someone elses fault.

As for "If you hadn't repeatedly offended you wouldn't have been in jail." you know nothing of my circumstances at this time & I will not reveal details of my life during this time that caused my offending in an open forum.

"I confess I do get a bit irritated when people who have repeatedly committed offences try to blame the system for their inability to do what the rest of us try to do - obey the law."So your saying you have never ever in your life broken a law?

Even though the system for dealing with offenders is to shun them forever? As I said in my earlier post,we have the "Rehabilitation of Offenders Act" which should mean my previous offences should not preclude my chance of employment,yet at the many interviews I attended for a job as soon as I revealed the reasons behind the gaps in my employment history there was a noticable change in the atmosphere of the interview.I could've lied to cover the gaps,but that would give an employer the reasonable excuse to dismiss me without notice if my criminal history is revealed(which it would be with an CRB check)

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

OnePlus Two release date rumours: Something's happening on 22 July

IDG UK Sites

13in MacBook Air review, Apple's MacBook Air 2014 reviewed

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons to buy an electric car and 5 reasons not to

IDG UK Sites

Evernote Skitch: the best way for creatives to doodle feedback