We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Idiotic rules over photography

interzone55

Likes # 0

Man questioned by police for photographing his daughter

A man was approached by shopping centre security, and then questioned by police, for taking photographs of his daughter at an Ice Cream parlour in a shopping centre.

Apparently they have a No Photography policy to "protect the privacy of staff and shoppers", which is rubbish as the place will be crawling with CCTV, so the only place you'll get privacy is the toilets.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

Forum Editor

So using anti-terrorism laws doesn't mean you are considered a terrorist. Sorry, but the words sledgehammer and nut spring to mind

Like this post
Terry Brown

Likes # 0

If every time you wanted to take a photo in an area where the public are around you havd to search out an 'Official', it would end up being like Russia.

Big Brother --Are you Here?

Is that what you want??

Terry

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

If you want to see some videos about this subject, then youtube might have some answers. One particular clip is of a variety of incidents in London, and how security staff and the police dealt with the matter. http://www.snipca.com/x3891

Many years ago I had a photograph taken,that was placed on the covers of cd/dvd and posters, because a 'musical' group were promoting their new album. This was done without my knowledge or permission. It was only when this was brought to the knowledge of my bosses at the time, that objections were raised at a 'higher level'. A few months of huffing and puffing, and the whole subject was eventually dropped. Never was I consulted or asked my opinion, but my bosses and a 'spokes-person' made a meal of the incident.

Like this post
hssutton

Likes # 0

PHOTOGRAPHY AND THE USE OF COUNTER-TERRORISM POWERS

Scroll down to page 20.

As a photography of many,many years I carry a printout of this in my camera bag, but must say I've never ever been stopped and questioned by the police. As for taking photos in a private place, I always ask first. Remember all shopping malls are private, therefore you must get permission to take photos.

Like this post
octal

Likes # 0

I'm sure I posted something here, but it seems to have vanished, maybe it wasn't relevant.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

**'Remember all shopping malls are private, therefore you must get permission to take photos'.

I wonder if you can call any of Tesco's stores a mall, because over the past two weeks, the point of taking photographs in Tesco's was aired on the BBC Watchdog program (it might even be part of this weeks program). People had been taking mobile phone photos of 'suspect' pricing labels, and one person (possibly more) were challenged by Tesco security at one (possibly more) of their stores. Apparently, when this was taken up by Watchdog, Tesco have stated that they have no objections to the public taking photographs in their stores- Feel Free?.

Like this post
Bingalau

Likes # 0

Taking photo's in a pub. I suggest you ask the licensee because it is probably his home. (It is a public house because he/she allows the public in to buy his/her wares.)

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

Bingalau - I always ask permission, and sometimes if the pub is quiet, I ask one of the staff to take a group photo, with me, in it.It gives them something to do.If in doubt always ask...is my motto.Nobody has dropped my camera yet!

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

spuds

Good point about Tescos, I've taken photos of incorrect price tickets a number of times in case I've needed to challenge the price at the till.

Always a classic are the "Any two for £3" ranges where one of the products is less than £1.50...

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

LG G Watch review: Android Wear smartwatch is the best around, so far

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's OS X Beta Seed Program: Get OS X Yosemite on your Mac before public release

IDG UK Sites

Why the BBC iPlayer outage was caused by a DDoS attack: Topsy and Tim isn't *that* popular

IDG UK Sites

See Glasgow 2014 in UHD as history is made