We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

No shaking hands now.

gengiscant

Likes # 0

A report in the Times today says we really must stop shaking hands when we meet and tap elbows instead. Unfortunately the report also goes onto say that we should sneeze in to are elbows also. All this from a virologist at Stanford University California. We could also air kiss which I absolutely loathe, if anyone so much as looks as though they are going to air kiss me, I give them such a look.

Sorry I cannot link to the story, the Times charges to browse.

Like this post
zzzz999

Likes # 0

We really should keep Stanford University Virologists locked up in cellars

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 1

I'm no medical expert, but I would have thought that our immune systems need to be exposed to pathogens if they are to function efficiently.

This obsession for protecting ourselves from anything that might cause an adverse reaction is hardly likely to result in a race of strong, disease-resistant people, is it?

Like this post
Terry Brown

Likes # 0

Forum Editor

At last a bt of sense.

As you grow, your system needs to be exposed to various 'germs' to be able to buid an immunity to them.

A lot of the problems with people now, is when you get an infection, instead of letting it run it's course (mild infections only) so your body learns hope to cope, it's off to the doctor, antibiotics (or whatever) so your body never learns.

Our bodies are not meant to be 'Wrapped up in cotton wool' , but exposed to life from an early age. It's called growing up.

I agree sometimes it is necessary to get medical aid, or for the most times your body will fix itself, given half a chance.

Terry

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

A friend of mine used to obsessively wash his hands, and kept his kids away from school if any of their classmates had the slightest signs of a cold.

Every winter his kids were ill with colds they couldn't shake because they'd not built up any immunities...

Like this post
octal

Likes # 0

The virologist at Stanford University California needs to travel on our transport system in London, I would hate to think what's on all those grab rails.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

"This obsession for protecting ourselves from anything that might cause an adverse reaction is"

That's why I never watch anything with Bruce Forsyth in it!

Perhaps I ought to start so that I build up an immunity!

Like this post
BRYNIT

Likes # 0

Next they'll be saying that you should not use public transport especially at busy times.

You've got more chance of catching stomach bugs, flu and colds etc on public transport due to very close contact with other people and hand rails that have been contaminated than you have in shacking hands.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

when computers 'shake hands' sometimes, nasty bugs can spread if you are not careful.

Like this post
Chegs ®™

Likes # 0

As a child, we'd never sat down to a meal until we'd washed our hands but it doesn't happen so much these days.

I would always say to my parents or aunt/uncle that I had washed my hands,but the truth is the opposite,I'd never wash my hands before a meal.I also rarely ailed as my mother was a nurse & we children had to be dead & buried with a Drs note to prove we were dead before being allowed to miss school.

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

When you think about it washing hands before meals only makes sense if you eat with your fingers.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

LED vs Halogen: Why now could be the right time to invest in LED bulbs

IDG UK Sites

Christmas' best ads: See great festive spots studios have created to promote themselves and clients

IDG UK Sites

Why Apple shouldn't be blamed for exploitation in China and Indonesia