We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Portsmouth pub landlady wins her case at the ECJ

TopCat®
Resolved

Likes # 0

From the article: "The ECJ now says national laws which prohibit the import, sale or use of foreign decoder cards are contrary to the freedom to provide services.

The decision could trigger a major shake-up for the Premier League and its current exclusive agreements with Sky Sports and ESPN, and pave the way to cheaper viewing of foreign broadcasts for fans of top-flight English games..."

I'll say! This ruling will see the biggest shake-up in televised sport in years. I only hope the viewer/consumer wins out in the end. TC.

Full story here

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

I'm not sure how this does not involve intellectual property rights.

The clubs put on a show and sell it through the Premier League, just as a film company puts on a show and sells it through a distributor.

What's the difference between pirated film DVDs and pirated football shows?

Will it apply to all sports?

Will any company now be allowed to show the Olympics?

If so, what were the original bidders bidding for?

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

Good - Sky charge an extortionate amount for clubs etc, the football club I drink in was quoted £5000 for Sky. With an average of 10-20 members on any one night it was not worth getting.

Like this post
TopCat®

Likes # 0

morddwyd raises some interesting questions that will have to be answered by the regulators, if this ruling is upheld.

Obviously there will be an appeal by the concerned parties, so I guess the euphoric feelings currently held, I suspect, by many are somewhat premature for the time being. TC.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

morddwyd

I'm not sure how this does not involve intellectual property rights.

The actual match footage is not copyrighted, and this is exactly as it should be, or we'd get into the stupid situation like they have in the States where you can be arrested for taking a photograph during a major league baseball game (this never happens, but it is technically illegal to reproduce even a still image of a game without permission).

Any pre-recorded footage, pre- & post-match interviews are copyrighted by Sky in the UK though, so if the foreign broadcasts being picked up are simply illegally re-broadcasted SKY productions then SKY can take action, but if a pub chooses to take a legal foreign broadcast of a Premier League match then they should now be free to do so...

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

I think what the problem is it is cheaper to watch sport in Greece and all the Landlady was doing was paying the same price as they pay in Greece and not the price that they have to pay in the Uk.

That's the way I see it and I can see nothing wrong with it.

I listened to some Director of a UK club whinging that they need the money they get from the likes of SKY to survive.

Maybe if they paid the players a decent wage and not the ridicules amounts that they get we could all watch the sport at a reasonable price.

Like this post  
wee eddie

Likes # 0

Too good a chance to miss.

Is this Murphy's Law in operation yet?

Like this post
QuizMan

Likes # 0

It is not really good news. Not yet, anyway. All it allows her to do is watch the feed from Greece on her own TV. It does not, so far as I understand it, extend to allowing her to broadcast it to her customers.

It's all academic anyway. As sure as eggs is eggs, when the Premier League rights come up for renewal in less than 2 years, their lawyers will have this tied up so tight there will be no wriggle room whatsoever.

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

just back from paphos every bar had ex large screens on max volume showing non stop football from the UK,they are obsessed with it over there. hope uk does not get that bad.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 release date, price, features: Windows 9 beta leaked ahead of 30 September unveiling

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

The Samsung Gear VR is better than the Oculus Rift (kinda)

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: How to buy an iPhone 6 today