We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Graphene, the "miracle material" of the 21st Century

peter99co

Likes # 0

Graphene technology

Is so far the strongest material known to science, and better at conducting electricity than copper.

The quick they replace the railway cables the better before the copper thieves close down the networks.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

If they could incorporate it in to the soles of shoes, so they were more hard wearing then I would be happy to be a guinea-pig - as long as they were comfortable, and lasted more than 20 years.

Like this post
canarieslover

Likes # 0

AitchBEE

I take it you are not fashion concious then??

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 1

Is it as good as Alec Guinness's white suit material?

If it is, they'll suppress the invention in order to not to infringe on the human rights of thieving scroats to recycle railway cabling...

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

canarieslover - yes you are correct. but I wouldn't mind modelling those graphene shoes 'down the pub'. It might turn a few heads...Glasgow is a fashion city, don't you know.Size 12's are required, tho'.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

QB - Fagan was an invention of Charles Dickens - So was 'Our Man In Havana' by Graham Greene. - 'Graphene' is modern. Nobody wears a white suit nowadays.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

AitchBEE, you gone from not fashion concious to dedicated follower of fashion in 13 post minutes!

White may be loud, but never square, from Regent Street to Merchant Square...

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

QB - I am a dedicated follower of fashion...THE KINKS

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

QB - My boots used to be made out of leather, but now they are a 'substitute'

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

I was born with a plastic spoon in my mouth and my secondhand suit is really made out of sack...

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

But some urge caution

"Some are certain that graphene will not do everything that has been thought up for the material.

What has been reported as "potential" seems to be - at the moment - just that, with few real-world examples of it working to replace other materials. "

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/click_online/9491789.stm

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

The 30 best TV shows on Netflix UK: Our pick of the best programmes you can watch right now

IDG UK Sites

Nostalgia time: Top 10 best selling mobile phones in history

IDG UK Sites

VFX Emmy: Game of Thrones work garners gong for Rodeo FX

IDG UK Sites

Apple 13-inch MacBook Pro with Retina review (2.6GHz, 128GB, mid-2014)