We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Locking old threads

simonjary
Resolved

Likes # 1

In a further bid to make these forums less prone to spam bot attack we're going to look at locking older threads.

Currently a spam bot can reactivate an old thread, which pushes it to the top of that forum list, where it becomes live again despite its age and resolved status.

Also, old threads in forums such as Consumerwatch sometimes get hijacked, rather than new threads being opened for new problems.

Locking older threads should stop that.

Regards,

Simon Publisher, PC Advisor

Like this post
Kevscar1

Likes # 0

Can you not put them in stasis only to be restarted by a post from the op. I haven't posted about my condition because I'm waiting for a decision from the ethics committee on whether they will amputate while I'm awake, would rather add to last thread than start new one and have to explain everything again.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Kevscar, why not just put a link to the other thread so you don't have to explain all over again. Probably get more reading it that way as they will be curious to find out background to present situation. Hope all goes well for you.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"why not just put a link to the other thread so you don't have to explain all over again."

Exactly - that's the way to do it.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

simonjary

Maybe not such a good idea.

At the moment there are 3 locked threads in Consumerwatch and I can imagine how annoying it would be if half the page was taken up by locked threads.

Maybe a rethink required.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

That should have been 4 locked threads in Consumerwatch.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

buteman - I was locked out, 'cos I am too big for my boots. The FE was not sympathetic to my cause.I will follow up the FE's suggestion, though.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

What about, prior to the XXX months locking when the locking period is decided upon, that when a member ticks 'as resolved', you put another hoop to be jumped through to continue adding to it.

i.e. Display a message saying that the 'thread originator feels that this subject has now been satisfactorily resolved, however you can still add to the thread by clicking here', which will take to to a member login confirmation page where you have to reconfirm your login password to continue.

If a member feels that there is something constructive to add, they will jump that hoop, if not, then it's too much bother, and they won't, well probably not...

Like this post
Covergirl

Likes # 0

@Quickbeam - Yes, let's make it really complex. Along with your suggestion of ten years, a thread would never get locked LoL

Just lock it after whatever time is decided after no more additions to it. Job done. Gerronwiyit !!

PCA Team

When are you thinking about implementing it ? I've been looking forward to lots of red padlocks for weeks now :)

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

AitchBEE

Yes seen that thread and the FE was not long booting it into touch

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

Covergirl: The thing is that you are never likely see the Red Padlocks that are Date Related, as once they meet that 3 month hurdle they can never be bumped again. Only those that are for Gross Infringements of Forum Rules will be visible in the first few pages.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Android One vs Android Silver vs Google Nexus: What is the difference?

IDG UK Sites

2014 Mac mini release date, specs, rumours: When's the new Mac mini coming out?

IDG UK Sites

Long live the internet fridge: the Internet of Things is coming

IDG UK Sites

How Prometheus' colourist Juan Ignacio Cabrera gave a tense, edgy feel to Chosen